XP Home Crashing... Help??

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by gnome, Feb 19, 2003.

1. gnome

gnome

#11     Feb 19, 2003
  2. gnome

gnome

That was and still is a SERIOUS consideration!!! :D :D

#12     Feb 19, 2003
  3. gnome

gnome

Tried that, but it wouldn't work. The date I wanted to restore to was in bold on the calendar, but got an "unable to restore..." message. Is there some setting I have to enable for the restore to work?? TIA :D

#13     Feb 19, 2003
  4. gnome

gnome

#14     Feb 19, 2003
  5. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have very little experience with the Home version of the OS but I find that your trouble is not uncommon. Yes, the bulk of your trouble is the modem driver. What modem do you have?

The easiest thing to do is to contact the modem manufacturer (phone or web site) and delve into the trouble with them. Many of the so-called XP drivers, are really not. There is a class of equipment manufacturers who said, "Hmm, it seems to work with Win2000 so it should work with XP too!"

I am sure that you did a complete un-install game so I won't take you there. My first recommendation is go straight to XP Pro. Many things that were left as troubles in the Home version, have been addressed there. There is also the "get a new modem" solution. Add to that one the, "Go back to Win2000" answer.

But, even though you might not want hear it, you should do a virgin re-install of the OS. This should allow you to clean up the issue. :)

#15     Feb 19, 2003
  6. Splat

Splat

#16     Feb 19, 2003
  7. gnome

gnome

Hi CMan..

It's a Lucent Winmodem... came on a cheapo Compaq. Worked fine until this weekend when I downloaded MSFT patches and upgraded my Norton Systemworks from 2002 to 2003 and added Personal Firewall.

Have reinstalled the driver. No change.
    Seems to me that the upgrades this weekend have caused caused something to try to write to the "modem.sys" file, and XP says that's a no-no.

Might try another modem, but if the OS is going to try to write to the new modem's ".sys" file, I could still be in the same boat.

Any other ideas? Tks

#17     Feb 19, 2003
  8. Bsulli

Bsulli

I post the link because we were have the same problem on an xP machine with this modem. Solutions are Either change the modem or use the generic driver instead of the official Lucent driver. Switching to generic fix the problem on one friends pc and on another we finally had to switch the modem out to an El Cheapo clone modem.

Fwiw

Bsulli

#18     Feb 19, 2003
  9. Bingo, Lucifer Technologies! Combine that with the so-called Winmodem game and you are asking for troubles with the newer OS's. Either:

A) go to a generic modem driver
    B) get another modem
    C) keep playing around with that puppy until it works

(I'm sure it ultimately will)

I have three winmodems that I just played with after reading your post. One of them is giving me trouble right now. It's a Lucent product. Older granted, but problematic none-the-less. And I am even using the Pro version of the OS. I am sure that I can futz around and get it working, but I'm a tech. For an average user, it just might be a bit of a task.

Long ago started advising my clients away from winmodems. They work fine ultimately, but every Windows upgrade seems to provide new hardware challenges for these products. :)

#19     Feb 19, 2003
  10. Now might not be a bad time to look into a DSL or cable modem upgrade plan. Just about every provider has a real discount program running. I'm willing to bet that you can find a very econimical plan that would make the cost worth it. Many plans provide free hardware for a year of commitment. And rates are in the $30 to $40 a month range.

I have two different DSL lines here. One for personal use, the other is client provided to maintain their remote site equipment. My actual phone expenses went down in overall costs. Go ahead, take the plunge!! :)

#20     Feb 19, 2003