XLF- Financial Select Sector SPDR second most-heavily shorted security on the AMEX

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by ASusilovic, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Time for some short covering...:)

2. Arnie

Arnie

God, I hope so. I'm long from 33.69. Just a little early:D

PS. Looking at some of the techs that got hit, I'm thinking of the tech sector etf (SMH, XLK) will be a good long for the week.

3. I will buy it at 28.50, next logical daily support level.

4. Bowgett

Bowgett

I'll buy too. Lets squeeze some shorts :)

5. bh_prop

bh_prop

Since XLF is second in short interest, curious what #1 short interest on Amex is

6. XLF will be up a buck on Monday.

7. In the old days it would have been QQQ.

I'm guessing #1 is some other broad market ETF, mabe related to Russel index I dunno.

8. Get a clue, guys, you can't have a short squeeze in an ETF, only in the underlying. A while ago TLT had short interest that was 150% of float, and nobody got squeezed. Even 150% of TLT's assets is miniscule compared to the Treasuries market, far less than one days worth of transaction volume. When shorts need to cover, market makers take over the short position, hedge it out against the underlying, and then at the end of the day the fund issues them creation units to flatten their books. As long as the transaction volume from the market makers hedging activities don't impact the underlying market(s) there will be no squeeze.

Same story with XLF. Their total assets represent just a bit more than 0.1% of the market cap of the financial sector. Any squeeze will be in the underlying. Since C, BAC, AIG, and the like have short % of float in single digits, no squeeze.

Martin

9. I went long a little lower but made it back already, this thing got annihilated;I think somewhat unfairly, been buying it all the way down and expected to take some heat. We'll see what happens next week.

10. I'm in! Let's kill the shorts!

#10     Nov 10, 2007