XLE: Is It Totally Insane to SHORT it?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by shortie, Feb 24, 2011.

Your Best Guess on XLE

1. 1-2 Weeks: LONG, 2-3 Months LONG

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. 1-2 Weeks: LONG, 2-3 Months SHORT

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. 1-2 Weeks: SHORT, 2-3 Months LONG

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. 1-2 Weeks: SHORT, 2-3 Months SHORT

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Maverick74

Maverick74

BTW shortie, if you would have taken Bone's spread trade: short XLE and long SLB (possible spread), you would be up on your short today and not down.

#31     Feb 25, 2011
  2. i would like to monitor the spread trade to see how it progresses. maybe i will learn something.

one day does not prove anything.

#32     Feb 25, 2011
  3. jokepie

jokepie

Why do you depend on a pull back for entry.... dont you rely on your assesment. Just pull the trigger...

#33     Feb 25, 2011
  4. i am not ready to implement this "if it goes up - but it" strategy

#34     Feb 25, 2011
  5. sorry, typo:
    "if it goes up - BUY it"

#35     Feb 25, 2011
  6. I would bet bone is going to have a nice retirement than shortie! lol

#36     Feb 25, 2011
  7. i agree with you.

get enough clients, take a juicy cut, risk no money of your own = nice retirement

Bill "Shortie" Gross Out :cool:

#37     Feb 26, 2011
  8. bone

bone

1. shortie, all of my clients know that I trade just about every day - in fact, we talk about my positions quite a bit during webinar consultations.

2. The past two years, consulting for both individuals and firms accounted for about 25% of my net income.

3. Because you chose to take the low road and make a personal value statement about me, I took a few minutes to review your posts going back a few months - you obviously know dick about markets. Your comments about market behavior and structure are impulsive, show a lack of experience in the art, and are always poorly supported by facts about technical price action or fundamental drivers.

#38     Feb 26, 2011
  9. i suck at trading, i know that.

sorry, i did not realize you are still trading your own money.

but would not you agree that an important reason of getting clients is to be able to risk THEIR money?

#39     Feb 26, 2011
  10. bone

bone

No, I think that would be a terrible business idea and just plain unethical. In fact, IMO it would require a private prospectus offering and regulatory registration. I take no haircuts and have 'side-pocket' deals regarding brokerage or trading platforms or charting packages or anything else.

In fact, my clients spend a period of 3 or 4 months paper trading against me on a daily basis while we compile their performance metrics - I do not want them to risk capital until they are very well prepared and organized. I insist they use delayed data during that period if practical ( many of my clients are very experienced professionals, so it is an ongoing expense) in order to save that $1200 it would cost for live data in seven exchanges.

I have never ever asked for or risked any client's money - in fact, if a prospect comes to me and I know or sense that he's got "one foot in the grave" or he is desperate, I will not take him on. In fact, I have told two prospects during phone interviews that my advice would be to stop trading immediately, close their trading accounts, and use their remaining capital to pay for their expenses and pursue a better career path.

I have 50 ET Members who have been clients - note how none of them bad-mouth me. In fact, they are excellent references for new clients wanting an independent evaluation of what I do for clients.

#40     Feb 26, 2011