XIV and SVXY: possible liquidation by issuer

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by m22au, Feb 5, 2018.

1. m22au

m22au

#71     Feb 6, 2018
  2. If this rally holds (yes it's early, just the open), did Credit Suisse just do the ultimate bottom tick stop out? yikes.

#72     Feb 6, 2018
  3. sss12

sss12

Maybe, but I don't think CS really cares. Outside of the management fee what did they lose ? Their stake (which I believe was the original from the creation of the product) should be hedged.

Obviously, shareholders of the product have a different view. But even so, isn't it a daily reset ? So even with vol dropping back down the shareholder has little capital left to work with.

#73     Feb 6, 2018
  4. *CREDIT SUISSE CONFIRMS IT EXPERIENCED NO TRADING LOSSES ON XIV

It's a tough gig to be a XIV investor, as it clearly would suggest that CS "hedging" pushed their own instrument into liquidation.

#74     Feb 6, 2018
    cole_ likes this.
  5. sss12

sss12

gotta look out for #1.

#75     Feb 6, 2018
    Martinghoul and MoreLeverage like this.
  6. SVXY is trading again. I was getting worried -- I bought some puts as a hedge late in the day yesterday and when they halted trading I was just sure they were going to liquidate and tell me to pound sand. Fortunately that didn't happen. Bought for $12 and sold for just under $67. Saved my ass.

#76     Feb 6, 2018
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Wouldn't CS be selling vol as a hedge to their XIV?

#77     Feb 6, 2018
  8. sss12

sss12

nice trade.

#78     Feb 6, 2018
  9. sss12

sss12

I think they have to buy it to be able to short it out (?). someone else can jump in here....

#79     Feb 6, 2018
  10. Thanks. By "saved my ass" what I really mean is "I shouldn't have started legging into long-dated SVXY calls yesterday but I did and just got a really bad feeling towards the end of the day, so I delta hedged with weekly puts".

Essentially, I was in a long straddle with different expiries. When they halted I figured liquidation would wipe out both sides, even though I saw claims that the OCC would force them to pay out on long puts.

#80     Feb 6, 2018