xeon - pentium

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by destined, Dec 24, 2003.

1. destined

destined

Is there any major difference in these two?
    Would one be better than the other for a trading setup?
    Thanks

2. gnome

gnome

Xeons are more expensive and designed more for server applications. As a P4 has more than enough horsepower for all but the most demanding number crunching setups, go with P4 and save yourself some money.

What's most important is #1, Operating System (Win2K or XP) and #2, adequate RAM... 512MB minimum.

3. destined

destined

Thanks gnome

4. Don't forget the limiting factor.......Broadband vs. dial-up...but we assume he has broadband...

Michael B.

5. nitro

nitro

P4 Xeons have the following advantages over regular P4's:

1) you cannot use multiple P4's in a dual (or more) processor motherboard - you need Xeons or Xeon MP's.

2) You cannot buy P4's with the massive L2 cache some Xeon's have.

As to the effect they would have on _your_ trading, the answer depends, but generally if you have to ask how they would be to your advantage, the answer is they would not help _you_.

FWIW, _I_ could easily gobble all the processing power of a Quad 3.2 Ghz Xeon MP machine.

nitro

6. oh i'm sure.. i doubt cray has anything powerful enuf for your needs

ps. still paper trading?

7. then look into this awesome configuration....
    www.go-l.com/desktops/machl38/features/index.htm

and....
    http://www.go-l.com/winxp4l/winxp4l/index.htm

8. Nitro,

Do you know if the Xeon's are hyperthreaded?

9. nitro

nitro

I am impressed with the level of attention to detail not only on the machine, but on the handsome website.

The thing about this machine is - why not make a machine with the same specs as this one, but have it be a dualprocessor board machine?

You see, my guess is that this machine is catered more the gaming world than the business world. I do not know much about the way games are written, but this probably where this kind of machine shines.

On the business side, for a little more money(~ $10,000), it is possible to build a Quad Xeon MP machine. This machine would run rings around the L machine you show at business type computations.

nitro

10. nitro

nitro

#10     Dec 25, 2003