X_trader question

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by romik, Mar 4, 2006.

1. chisel

chisel

I have a Nexland dual router that died about a month ago. I rcv'd a replacement last week and lately both of my ISPs have been a little flaky. Long story short, for me, I think a better way is to have one ISP per computer b/c I can log into X-Trader on the other computer faster than the Nexland can pick up the backup ISP. I'm talking about a 1 minute difference here for X-Trader...much faster failover times for IB TWS or other apps.

#21     Mar 6, 2006
  2. Thanks Chisel,

I have done a fair amount of reading on the hotbrick and edimax dual wan router, both seem good and have received good reviews on instaneous failover. Your idea seems like a good one though to consider.Those are the only two I would consider. The hawking seems like cheap junk to me.

#22     Mar 6, 2006
  3. You need to be concerned with latency not bandwidth. Try pinging your firm to see what you get. A point to point t1 is the best connection, if trading remotely.

#23     Mar 6, 2006
  4. chisel

chisel

In my experience (I'm no networking expert by any means), dual routers do not provide instantaneous failover. My post above was not very clear...if my first ISP goes down, IB TWS and Qcharts take 30 seconds or so to reconnect to the backup ISP using the Nexland dual router. X-Trader takes about 90 seconds to 2 minutes.

Also, I tried the Edimax and was not satisfied but that was probably 18 months ago. Maybe the firmware has improved since. If I had to replace the Nexland, I'd buy the Symantec 200 series dual router on eBay.

#24     Mar 6, 2006
  5. Thanks again Chisel, I will have to look into that more. I checked ebay and no hit I will keep looking.

#25     Mar 6, 2006
  6. chisel

chisel

Search for Symantec Firewall or Symatec Router or Symantec 200 or Symantec VPN200. I found 4 or 5. This one looks pretty good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Symantec-ISB-VP...ryZ51168QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, the Nexland router that broke I bought on eBay. I called Symantec and they replaced it with a refurbished unit. They did not ask for a proof of purchase or anything like that. They merely asked how long I had owned it. My point is: if you buy a used Symantec router on eBay and it fizzes out a year from now, it's worth a call to Symantec.

#26     Mar 6, 2006