Wyckoff's comment on Gann

Discussion in 'Politics' started by harrytrader, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Actually, I don't give a damn about account statements. In my opinion, whatever you make trading is your business. But if you want to prove something about the value of Gann's work, here is a challenge:
    1. Go to any reputable academic source, determine what the minimum threshold is for a "statistically significant sample size".
    2. Since Gann's methods were supposed to be able to predict price action well into the future, post your "prediction" the night before.
    3. At the end of the sample test, post the results.
    If you are able to do this (and the results are better than what could be achieved by random chance), I would be impressed and willing to apologize (here on ET) for my negative comments.
    Good luck, Steve46

#11     Jan 30, 2004
  2. Harrytrader,

You better shut up about "proofs". Go and do your little Pi problem first. You don't have any standing as a mathematician on this board.

nononsense

#12     Jan 30, 2004
  3. 1. Go to any reputable academic source, determine what the minimum threshold is for a "statistically significant sample size".

Here is a sample taken beyond the threshold:

A statistician is someone who loves to work with numbers but doesn't have the personality to be an accountant.

How do you save a drowning statistician? Take your foot off his head. (Oh, sorry, that should be how to save a drowning lawyer.)

The rest of these are jokes I wrote and delivered to a group of statisticians. I don't ask for cash--credit is fine. ;-) (Caveat--frequently, my aim in telling a joke is not laughter, but groans.)

What do you call a statistician on drugs? A high flyer.

How many statisticians does it take to change a lightbulb? 1-3, alpha = .05

There is no truth to the allegation that statisticians are mean. They are just your standard normal deviates.

Did you hear about the statistician who invented a device to measure the weight of trees? It's referred to as the log scale. -

Did you hear about the statistician who took the Dale Carnegie course? He improved his confidence from .95 to .99.

Why don't statisticians like to model new clothes? Lack of fit.

Did you hear about the statistician who was thrown in jail? He now has zero degrees of freedom.

Statisticians must stay away from children's toys because they regress so easily.

The only time a pie chart is appropriate is at a baker's convention.

Never show a bar chart at an AA meeting.

The last few available graves in a cemetery are called residual plots.

Old statisticians never die, they just undergo a transformation.

How do you tell one bathroom full of statisticians from another? Check the p-value.

Did you hear about the statistician who made a career change and became a surgeon specializing in ob/gyn? His specialty was histerectograms.

The most important statistic for car manufacturers is autocorrelation.

Some statisticians don't drink because they are t-test totalers. Others drink the hard stuff as evidenced by the proliferation of box-and-whiskey plots.

Underwater ship builders are concerned with sub-optimization.

The Lipton Company is big on statistics--especially t-tests.

A husband and wife, both statisticians, had the misfortune of passing away within a day of one another. They had always planned to be buried side by side. Unfortunately, the funeral home got them mixed up with another husband and wife with similar wishes. This became known as the first case of split-plot confounding.

* Ten percent of all car thieves are left-handed * All polar bears are left-handed * If your car is stolen, there's a 10 percent chance it was nicked by a Polar bear

* 39 percent of unemployed men wear spectacles * 80 percent of employed men wear spectacles * Work stuffs up your eyesight

* All dogs are animals * All cats are animals * Therefore, all dogs are cats

* A total of 4000 cans are opened around the world every second * Ten babies are conceived around the world every second * Each time you open a can, you stand a 1 in 400 chance of falling pregnant

Statisticians do it when it counts.

Statisticians do it with 95% confidence.

Statisticians do it with large numbers.

Statisticians do it with only a 5% chance of being rejected.

Statisticians do it with two-tail T tests.

Statisticians do it. After all, it's only normal.

Statisticians probably do it.

Statisticians do it with significance.

Probabilists do it on random walks.

Probabilists do it stochastically.

Statisticians do all the standard deviations.

#13     Jan 30, 2004
  4. Harry, this is the Technical Analysis forum.

You are off topic here and I am inclined to move this to Chit Chat

If you want to engage in puffery and self aggrandizement, fine, but where's the beef? Let's examine methodology.

Ever seen a promoter of franchise opportunities?

#14     Jan 30, 2004
  5. Actually, harry... do what surf's doing and post predictions before hand...

When it comes to this point....

or come over to ET Chat and some of us will follow your calls real time. That's another way to prove a point.

Just a friendly suggestion

#15     Jan 30, 2004
  6. Hey BDixon:
    Haven't heard some of those before. Not bad. Lightens up what was becoming a kind of downer thread.

#16     Jan 31, 2004
  7. #17     Jan 31, 2004