www.elitetrader.com is worth...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by lassic, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Make no mistake about it, as the general economy has tanked, there are fewer traders now than there were a few years ago. That's just a fact of life that the industry has to deal with. But even with that said, that has not reduced the demand for ad space on this site. If anything, the shitty economy increases the demand because firms really need to advertise to get business in an environment like this. The companies that don't advertise are typically the ones that eventually fold up shop and move on to something else.

#71     Oct 7, 2010
  2. Wow, opening a po box at Postnet really helped! Heading to Orlando next month and will stop by the offices. I will even buy you dinner at Ruth's Chris if I find you in the office!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&r...code_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ8gEwAA

Wrong. Since I started this site in 1997, there has never been a year that was down from the previous year from a revenue standpoint. That's 13 consecutive years of growth. And it's double digit growth at that :D

Here's another datapoint to chew on: I was offered $4.5 million for this site about 4 months ago and I turned it down.

Now please continue the discussion. I find it entertaining :)
    [/QUOTE]

#72     Oct 7, 2010
  3. Not too hard to estimate...from the looks of what he charges for advertising, I'm guessing Baron pulls in a minimum of $500k per year depending on if he gives alot of discounts or whatnot. Not sure if he will tell us his exact income, but I would not be surprised if it was as high a $1 million per year.

#73     Oct 7, 2010
  4. loza

loza Guest

Take the 4.5 mill, it is an aberration and you may never have another chance like that. It is just a proof that people will pay too much for some perceived value. Advertising will dry up as companies will undoubtedly find out that the pipe dream as someone said it will end. A lot of these companies will disappear whether they buy your ad space or not. It is a suckers game, just like Vegas was a boom town and now it has the two worst neighborhoods in the nation. They can advertise all they want Vegas now is a shithole...
    Do not think for a moment that your advertisers will stay forever, they have no loyalty.... advertising is a biggest jerk off venue anyway, it is immeasurable and bogus. Some big brands can and will spend the money but as usual it is pissing value away - take the super-bowl ads for example of mass hysteria and stupidity on a grand scale..
    Think of all the smart trades you could make from that 4.5 mill......
    I am sure the ET guard will be there to advise you.... :)

#74     Oct 7, 2010
  5. fusionz

fusionz

Internet advertising has also been one of the strongest industries in this economy, would you say that has helped also?

#75     Oct 7, 2010
  6. Trust me it costs big bucks now to get something like this off the ground. A good friend of mine has spent almost a little over a year now developing a forum community for active gamers and is already about 50k deep into the project and it's not even finished yet. He said tack on seo optimization, servers, admins, support, he will be about 75k out of pocket and that doesn't even include advertising yet to promote the site, tack on another 25-50k for the first 3 months. So if you have a free 100-150k laying around and a good developer who will work for a year for free it's worth a shot. If not stick with trading lol.

#76     Oct 7, 2010
  7. Thank you for providing a space of free expression ! Some of us in the world don't have this chance at home !

Best regards!

#77     Oct 7, 2010
  8. Google gets revenue from it's website. That very well may be why Google.com is estimated to be worth $1.7B.

Google also gets lots of money elsewhere. That's the other infinite gazillions of dollars Google, Inc. is worth.

97% of revenue at Google, Inc. comes from other than Google.com according to some sources.

#78     Oct 7, 2010
  9. <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UrVlrSMfhCY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UrVlrSMfhCY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

#79     Oct 7, 2010