WTI on ICE versus NYMEX

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by heech, Mar 31, 2010.

1. heech

heech

Looking at the clearing fees, it's a pretty clear advantage for ICE ($0.73 versus $1.45 a side). It'll be very interesting to study this further, see if the book depth between the two is very different... and whether I'm likely to get better/worse fills from one versus the other.

And there's no reason I can't hedge NYMEX WTI options with ICE WTI futures, right? The two are completely fungible?

#11     Feb 23, 2011
  2. Correlated but definitely not fungible, you're trading physical against financial.

#12     Feb 23, 2011
  3. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Fungible? No. Fungible is when you buy on Nymex and sell on ICE and you are flat for the clearing firm.

#13     Feb 23, 2011
  4. heech

heech

Putting my new Bloomberg to work... I see the spread here. Looks like it's basically at zero except when one market is closed versus the other...?

For those of us who have no intention of holding physical, and will always close out before delivery... any reason to think there will be a significant spread while both markets are trading?

#14     Feb 23, 2011
  5. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

I would say no, but there are some people who know better...:)

#15     Feb 23, 2011
  6. bone

bone

"For those of us who have no intention of holding physical, and will always close out before delivery... any reason to think there will be a significant spread while both markets are trading?"

If your intention is to do something like spread WTI versus Brent, then by all means use the ICE WTI. If you intention is to somehow arbitrage ICE WTI versus Nymex WTI, no way no how.

#16     Feb 23, 2011
  7. heech

heech

My intention isn't to profit off of mispricings between ICE WTI futures versus NYMEX WTI futures.

But I'd like to use ICE WTI futures as a delta hedging tool for NYMEX WTI options... when NYMEX is closed, for example. And so, they need to be "equivalent" in that sense at option settlement (and preferably at all points before hand). Just so you understand: I *want* them to be equivalent.

#17     Feb 23, 2011
  8. bone

bone

My advice - just make sure that your FCM will give you the appropriate SPAN performance bond intercommodity spread credit rate. If it's LCH or CME Clearing House, they are the ones who will ultimately tell your FCM if they have a credit agreement in place. I used to do alot of CME ClearPort versus ICE LCH Swaps and got the offset clearing Man Financial. Just double-check.

#18     Feb 23, 2011
  9. heech

heech

Good call. I'm not expecting to use it frequently, so not as critical.

It occurs to me that in a situation like that we saw on Monday (with the markets closed middle of the day), or even a 9/11 style attack... being able to trade WTI out of London as a backup will be very, very convenient.

#19     Feb 23, 2011