WTF? State of California taking money out of my checking acct?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tsing Tao, Jun 20, 2012.

1. JamesL

JamesL

A levy is usually issued on an account with 21 days notice. This affords the account holder the opportunity to present proof that the debt has already been satisfied, but once this claim has been made against your account, you cannot touch this money. On your daily account inquiries, your bank will list your total balance and your available balance which will differ at least the amount of any lien.

This is how the IRS operates (first hand experience).

#11     Jun 21, 2012
  2. BSAM

BSAM

IRS: The biggest terrorist threat to citizens of this country.
    (There's more than one way to create terror.)

#12     Jun 21, 2012
  3. Personally I have never had issues with the IRS. The California FTB is much more aggressive than the IRS in every way. Its attitude is to take the money first and leave it up to the taxpayer to get it back.

#13     Jun 21, 2012
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I agree, I never had any issues with the IRS. And I certainly did not get any 21 day notice in this case.

#14     Jun 21, 2012
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Final update.

Finally got the letter from the tax authority detailing that it was their mistake, and the reversal in my BoA account. BoA still, however, would not reverse their $100 fee. They told me it was non-refundable, despite me telling them that the whole thing was a mistake, and providing proof. They didn't care.

I closed my account yesterday, and the woman who closed it with me didn't even care. No customer service, no sympathy for the situation, nothing.

Closed my Merryl Lynch account, my checking account, and will get rid of the credit card just as soon as I get the cash rebate in points (it's like $500 so I don't want to throw it away).

Fuck Bank of America.

#15     Jun 28, 2012
  6. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

This situation normally occurs because an illegal immigrant has stolen and is using your social security number. The illegals file tax forms where they withhold no taxes on their income.

This leaves you (by Social Security Number) stuck with the tax bill at both the federal and state level.

My family is also a victim of this issue.

#16     Jun 28, 2012
  7. Why would BofA refund the $100 fee when it wasn't their mistake? The one you should be pissed at and threatening to take to small claims court is the state of Calif. they fucked up, not BofA

But this thread was good learning. I will never link my normal checking account with any service that can take money from it. Maybe create a temporary account with an internet bank, then use it for 3-4 years, then close it and create a new one

#17     Jun 28, 2012
  8. JamesL

JamesL

Be careful there - closing your credit card will ding your credit score, particularly if you have had it a while.

#18     Jun 28, 2012
  9. Omg ! I just recieved the same mail today on the withhold from CA Franchise Tax Board . Im wondering if you can give me the number of the lady whom you talk with or the number that you called so i can get my issue resolved as well. Thanks !

#19     Oct 7, 2014
  10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Was two years ago, sorry. I don't recall the number. What I do remember is that the lady helped politicians who had tax issues, not the general public. She just was nice enough to do me a favor. But I do remember I got it from googling.

#20     Oct 8, 2014