wtf? only down -140 points on dow?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by midniteeuropa, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Art Hogan said the whisper number was -400k, not -500k.

#21     Dec 5, 2008
  2. The market looks very, very far ahead. The smarties that run these huge funds know that while the job loss numbers may seem dire onpaper, when you put it in perspective a .2% rise in unemployment isn't a big deal.

Also, no one wants to be left behind when the econmy does start to pick up again, so these funds are loading up now in anticiption of a 'v' shapped recovery. The market rebound always proceeds the economic recovery.

#22     Dec 5, 2008
  3. The actual rate of unemployment is in the double digits

#23     Dec 5, 2008
  4. richrf

richrf

I don't want to go through all the CNBC video clips, but I can assure you that last night and this morning analysts and traders will talking about a 530,000+ number. It was no surprise - especially to me, since I heard it last night. Others, undoubtedly heard it earlier. But the proof is in the pudding, the market digested it - which is what the question was that started the thread.

Going forward, the question that the market is trying to answer is how quickly, and how much the government will pour into the system. I think this months employment number suggests that there will be very little resistance to massive spending other than from some fringe think tank groups - who unfortunately dominate the current administration.

#24     Dec 5, 2008
  5. yea but its always been that way even when unemploymnt was at 4.5%

#25     Dec 5, 2008
  6. I'll say this much, if markets were to go bloody red then it would have to be today.

#26     Dec 5, 2008
  7. if wishes were horses...

#27     Dec 5, 2008
  8. piezoe

piezoe

Thanks Gregg, I'll try to remember that.

#28     Dec 5, 2008
  9. cubical

cubical

can you explain this? thank you.

#29     Dec 6, 2008
  10. There are times when you are correct (in your expectation of market's direction) a day too soon. That's what I noticed happening to me last week.

Don't be dejected...if market goes up on Monday, I would suggest you short big time. :D

#30     Dec 6, 2008