WTF is up with eSignal...again???

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by trader56, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Just thought I'd try to be part of the possible solution to this as well as bitching, so just got off the phone with Support. Here's what we did, and what I learned:

1) Installed the 10.2 version. This came out just this month and was apparently put in to address this freezing problem. So far now since doing this there have been no freezing episodes, though prior to installation, the first few minutes after the open were frozen repeatedly.

2) The more charts you run, the greater the freezing issues become. I had 24 charts running simultaneuosly. At least four of these were things like the USO Oil Fund, and the Dollar Index that could simply be put in a Quote Window, so these were taken down. Quote Windows do not present the same issues in terms of data overload as this has to do with monitor memory. You want the Refresh Rate set on high, though.

According to Support, a few other issues can cause problems as well, but even people with 4-5 gigs of RAM were experiencing freezing problems. One such issue is home IP's. If you have something like Comcast, the home or residential IP is often switched around during the day. For an extra twelve dollars a month, you can get a dedicated business IP that doesn't switch during the business day. If eSignal sees an IP switch, the program stops working as it thinks you're trying to log in on more than one computer using the same username.

Finally, you can test the freezing thing by creating a Page with just one chart. If it is not freezing up, but continually updating, then you know your multi-chart approach is freezing up the Page with all those on it.

Anyway, hope this helps, so far so good...we'll see, I guess.

#11     Oct 24, 2008
  2. There have been a lot of problems with eSignal, that are ISP related.

I'm located in Holland. And I have a Fiber Glass Internet connection. I have no problems.

But I know a lot of traders here in Holland that have a Cable internet connection and have problems with an above.net server. You should try to do a ping test to esignal.com with pingplotter for example. And see if your ISP routes to an above.net server. If you have a lot of package loss there, you know where the problem comes from!

-SL

#12     Oct 24, 2008
  3. Thanks, SL - I'm a bit "technologically challenged," but that sounds worth looking into.

So far this morning, since making the changes listed in my last post, there haven't been any further problems - we'll see how it goes closer to the close.

#13     Oct 24, 2008
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

Charts not working ....5 min - 60 min not showing todays action......only daily thru higher ...anyone else??

#14     Oct 29, 2008
  5. No problems here.

Try closing esignal and the data manager. And wait for 10 minutes.

You'll be logged on to another server. That might help!

They appoint you another server every 10 minutes I believe!

-SL

#15     Oct 29, 2008
  6. QuoteTracker. Solid as a rock.

#16     Oct 29, 2008
  7. Fine for me too.

As far as I know, you have a chance to hit a different set of servers every time you shut down and restart esignal. There's no need to wait for any amount of time at all. It doesn't happen often to me, but I do occasionally have a problem with charts or news, and going out and back in has always cleared it up immediately.

Cheers,

Paul

#17     Oct 29, 2008
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

i went in and out several times....the minute charts are missing data up until 10:30am...after that its been fine...

#18     Oct 29, 2008
  9. BSAM

BSAM

Yep.

Why would anyone pay eSignal prices?

Why would anyone deal with these alleged problems with eSignal ?

Why would anyone stay with eSignal?

www.quotetracker.com

#19     Oct 29, 2008
  10. tallpaw

tallpaw

BSAM: trying to figure out quotetracker. Is the cost only $ 60/year if you register it? I do understand that I need a data feed .. will use IQ feed. Seems to good to be true. Have looked at website. Can you program specific studies like the EFS studies that you can write on E-Signal? Thanks for your help.

#20     Oct 31, 2008