WTF happened to the block function?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by destriero, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Des will probably be back. ET is the meth addiction that won't make you skinny! ;)

[​IMG]

#21     Sep 16, 2020
    ChipShotTrader likes this.
  2. Arnie

Arnie

Baron, why not let the thread starter block people? There have been some good threads here, including Dest's, that quickly go down hill because of a handful of bitter losers. Most come here to learn and interact, but some are just a**holes. Let the thread starter control who can post.

#22     Sep 16, 2020
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Because it's a huge conflict of interest for someone who starts a thread to now be the moderator of it. That just means that he can ban anyone from his thread if they say something he doesn't like. That doesn't sound like a forum for discussion. It sounds like a dictatorship by whoever started the thread and anybody who posts anything critical, or anything unliked by the thread started is now ousted from the discussion. Hell, as many flames as destriero posts in other people's threads, he'd probably be the #1 banned person.

But getting back to the block feature for a minute, the core problem is not giving someone the block feature. The core problem is allowing the user to temporarily "unblock" someone that was previously blocked . That's really the problem and why the system is getting abused.

So what myself and some other members were talking about last night in a private thread is revoking the ability to unblock someone. That way, if you try to block someone, a pop-up will say something to the effect of "Blocking a user is permanent. Do you want to proceed?" And if you click yes, there's no way to undo it. That way, this bullshit of unblocking someone so you can sneak over to his thread and post a shit-talking reply, and then put him back on your block list so he can't see it and respond to it, will be eliminated.

#23     Sep 16, 2020
    Nobert and ChipShotTrader like this.
  4. Arnie

Arnie

I like that idea.

#24     Sep 16, 2020
    Nobert and Wallet like this.
  5. Tavurth

Tavurth

I like the idea, but perhaps a 2-3 day (or 1 week) timeout would prevent abuse in this way.

If someone wanted to abuse the system in the same way, their reply would be readable by the attacked and so they could respond in time. I guess most active users of ET check at least every 3 days and so it would allow freedom to block without being overly restrictive.

#25     Sep 16, 2020
    spy and Nobert like this.
  6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Yeah, another user suggested a 30-day time limit instead of it being permanent.

#26     Sep 16, 2020
    spy, Nobert, DTB2 and 2 others like this.
  7. THIS IS GENIUS!!!

And I am being very nice to Ken...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    #27     Sep 16, 2020
    Nobert and JesseJamesFinn1 like this.
  8. virtusa

virtusa

I have the impression that the biggest abuser of that tool is Destriero.So it is a very good decision to block that tool for him. The fact that it disturbs him is the ultimate proof that he abuses that tool.

Not so long ago he attacked @Laissez Faire by abusing the tool. Doing that was below the lowest level you could expect from any educated person. But that's how we know Des.

#28     Sep 17, 2020
    DeltaOneFutures likes this.
  9. virtusa

virtusa

No, because then it would start again after 30 days. People should understand that blocked is blocked. They should be carefully about using blocking or not.
    Des blocked, unblocked, attacked and blocked again numerous times other members.

For some time I was convinced that Des was running ET, and not Baron. I am happy to see that abuse is not accepted by Baron. Even Des threatening Baron is not working. All ET members shoild be threated the same way.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    #29     Sep 17, 2020
  10. virtusa

virtusa

You registered just a few days ago. So probably a new alias of one of the people who cannot use block anymore. So your opinion is worthless as you are here less than 2weeks. Probably abusing of multi aliases.

You ask to kill your nick? LOL. You had 7 postings, so not a big loss.

The drivel which was allowed here by abusing the block function was disgusting. This has all been discussed before. Many understand the motive ver well.

"the real industry pros" don't contribute to ET. Most of them don't even come here.
    On top of that "the real industry pros" would not abuse the block function like Des did.

#30     Sep 17, 2020