WTF happened to the block function?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by destriero, Sep 14, 2020.

1. stepan7

stepan7

I would not use this analogy.
    Half of people unable to comprehend what dest is talking about and another half who do understand, really appreciate his input. His a real gem on this forum.

#11     Sep 15, 2020
  2. That makes sense. I see...

@destriero There is NO reason to unblock, and then reblock someone!!! So much unnecessary work! I simply log off, look up the thread, then "copy and paste" the asshole's insulting response (I guess the "troll"). Since the troll blocked me, he keeps insulting me, thinking I can no longer see his posts, and therefore I remain quiet, and since I do not see anything when I log in, I think the troll is gone. But little do I know the bastard is there pounding away at the keyboard. This is exactly what happened with user "themickey" a couple of years ago. He blocked me, but kept posting insults at me. When I logged off, I was able to see his posts. "Copy and paste" them, log in again, and answer him. When you are logged in, it may seem like you are talking to a ghost, but when you log off, you have answered! I figured it out, and kept going at this moron, until he finally got the point...

However, this is done in "defense". If there is no perceived/visible attack, all good...

#12     Sep 15, 2020
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I agree that he's a gem. I like him very much. If he doesn't want to participate that's his choice.

#13     Sep 15, 2020
  4. #14     Sep 15, 2020
  5. Cuddles

Cuddles

That's awesome. Can't believe he's ruffled enough feathers to go through the hassle :D

#15     Sep 15, 2020
  6. NoahA

NoahA

The "block" feature is kind of ridiculous. Since we all know that you can either just log out, or open the page in a private window to see all the posts, its doesn't really accomplish that much.

If you as a poster are bothered by somebody, having the ignore feature to not see their posts is sufficient to de-clutter your browsing. But to be able to block them, and hence prevent them from seeing your posts is almost too "far reaching". You shouldn't be able to control what other uses can or cannot see.

If they see your posts and keep replying to you, eventually they will get the hint because you wouldn't have replied to them since you can't see the posts. If they persist, then clearly they are a troll you the mods can handle that quite easily.

So really, the block feature should just be disabled as the ignore feature is sufficient, IMO.

#16     Sep 15, 2020
    spy, Metamega and wrbtrader like this.
  7. vanzandt

vanzandt

fwiw....

anyone who's been here for any amount of time knows D can be a dick.

I have certainly been on the receiving end in the past. As well as dished it out.

But before I even saw this thread, like 2 hours ago, I PM'd him with a question about a large option trade on a stock I was playing today... trying to figure out what was in the trader's head when he made the trade. It was a large trade and it confused me as to what this guy was thinking. The trade didn't make any sense....

So I pm'd Destriero...
    He got back to me within minutes explaining what the trade was all about.
    He didn't have to do that. And probably, truth be known, it was a question that somewhat painted me as a tad stupid, at least on his level with regards to options at least. I'm just being honest.
    But he answered, and he explained it completely.
    And then he answered my follow up questions. Quite politely.

So yeah, as Baron said he is a gem... but I can also see how the off/on of ignore is kinda 'not cricket' in the public forum. So yeah Destriero... leave em on ignore and forget about em. Don't troll em. As fun as it is.

But as an asset to ET... just keepin it real.... he'd be hard to replace. Like I said, we've had our go's at each other, but when it came down to business... he's always helped me. Always.

There's something to be said about that.

#17     Sep 15, 2020
    spy, Nobert, JesseJamesFinn1 and 6 others like this.
  8. Yes, posters on this site who have any clue at all are growing fewer and fewer. The handful who haven't left yet post infrequently if at all. Destriero is an exception to that rule. He alone is probably responsible for 50% of the actually informative posts on the board. If ET loses him, there will be practically no one left. The site will be solely populated by racists, covid deniers, predatory vendors, and a vast pool of ignorami and micro-cephalic sub-imbeciles.

Hmmmm. I wonder if that has anything to do with the dearth of market professionals here?

@Baron, I suggest you restore destriero's block facility. You don't want to lose him. I am sure the site will totter on without him and other informative posters, but it will no longer be a place where an inexperienced trader stands any chance of learning the ropes.

#18     Sep 15, 2020
  9. stepan7

stepan7

Great.
    At same time ET rules should be the same for every member, regardless (except administrators of course). If you revoke "block" privilege for one do it for folks who complaining as well or everybody as proposed.
    Idiots always find something to complain about, it's part of their "mission" as they see it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    #19     Sep 16, 2020
  10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

The block function works wonderfully. It completely removes an individual from your feed. If you are going to log out and in and try to circumvent the system or remove people from block and then put them back on then you simply have to ask yourself why you put the person on block in the first place.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

#20     Sep 16, 2020