WSJ: The Tax That Won't Die

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Tom B, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Tom B

Tom B

+1

#21     Dec 11, 2009
  2. I want a flat tax PERIOD. No deductions. Everyone and every corp. pays 10%, every year.
    Da gubmint would be awash in cash.
    Protect interstate commerce and our borders, and stay outta my life.

#22     Dec 11, 2009
  3. BSAM

BSAM

Oooh, now you're talking. I do too, but I want to pay mine only when I buy something. My paycheck belongs to me, not the government.

#23     Dec 11, 2009
  4. LOL! Good one.

#24     Dec 11, 2009
  5. No, sorry, it is you who cannot interpret what you wrote.

There is a big difference in disposing of one's wealth as buffet did - to a receiver of his choice - than to allow government to confiscate it.

Buffet could have also disgorged his wealth into untaxable trusts for his heirs and similarly pay no death tax.

His choice was to give it to the Gates Foundation instead of his children. But it was HIS CHOICE - and that's the point.

#25     Dec 11, 2009
  6. Buffet IS a hypocrite because HE did not leave his money to the government. He disposed of it as he saw fit, but he wants the government to confiscate your wealth upon death to spend as it sees fit.

He is also a hypocrite because he cries about not paying enough taxes, yet he employs an army of tax attorneys and CPAs to reduce his tax burden and he has never once exercised the option to voluntarily pay more taxes than are required. Not once.

BTW, government confiscation of wealth is not "giving to society". When was the last time you noticed the politicians who run government benefit anyone but themselves and their cronies? Be honest.

Personally, I think the Gates Foundation will be more effective in its goals than self-serving government workers. And so does Buffet. But he also has the audacity to force his beliefs on you and your family, which makes him imperious and detestable.

#26     Dec 11, 2009
  7. I like the sales tax. Taxing what you take out of the economy (consume) makes much more sense than taxing the income resulting from what you put into the economy (produce).

How about a flat consumption tax? Or even a progressive consumption tax instead of any income tax at all.

#27     Dec 11, 2009
  8. No, Angrycat, you are missing the point and are responding on a tangent. Perhaps your anger is clouding your judgment. Buffett made his view known and is acting on that view. His integrity is intact. You, on the other hand, are just a bundle of rage seeking expression.

#28     Dec 11, 2009
  9. jem

jem

He is a hypocrite because as he was voicing his concerns for the average worker he owned a strong stake in moodys. Which certified toxic crap as investment grade and allowed wall street to suck out millions and billions from pension plans.

#29     Dec 11, 2009
  10. Hello??? Tax comes one way or the other; if more death taxes, then less of the other taxes. Just claiming that death tax is preferable proves little. If someone wasn't heavily income taxed and had a death tax instead, then maybe they would have more inheritance, as well as a more prosperous life. The beneficiaries are not the users of the wealth, in that person's life.

#30     Dec 11, 2009