WSBers playing with fire and getting burned: NKLA hard to borrow early assignments on call spreads

Discussion in 'Options' started by blazespinnaker, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Atikon

Atikon

but it kind of is, especially if they set the margin requirement. I get my verticals assigned as two sperate position instead of an iron condor (bp reduction at IB=2xwhat it is at other brokerages), one would think, that they don't want retail to blow up

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    #41     Jun 26, 2020
  2. I do understand the risk of hard to borrow stock. The big issue I have is there was no indication that it was a hard to borrow stock, or the current rate associated with it ( I know that can change instantly ). The trade desk was the only one who had that information. Should I be responsible for guessing on each trade if I'm going to get screwed with an almost 1000% fee or does the broker have some accountability in this?

#42     Jun 26, 2020
    Atikon likes this.
  3. I completely agree with this statement. I also think if they know something that I have no way of accessing and they do absolutely nothing to mitigate the risk , they share responsibility.

#43     Jun 26, 2020
    Atikon likes this.
  4. Cabin111

Cabin111

Yeah, the SEC should write something to protect people against "hard to borrow". Should they restrict/block options on those companies?? Maybe, but at this time it is not the law. Require a $100,000.-$1,000,000. as a back up in some CD or secured shares of stock somewhere? People would be pissed off...

If you are naked, YOU ARE NAKED!! It doesn't matter if it's Apple/Amazon or Lehman Brothers, Enron, or Luckin. Bad things can and do happen. I heard Amazon is clubbing baby seals to make their cardboard boxes!! Run with the big boys...You can get burned. Stick your money in QQQ, S & P 500, or buy a house...Sleep well at night. Your call...

#44     Jun 26, 2020
  5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

It would be nice if they told you the borrow fee ahead of time.

However, if they don’t provide that information, you can choose to go to a broker that does.

#45     Jun 27, 2020
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

It’s available in the options market. Also there are services that will tell you want the average borrow cost is. More over the borrow cost can change very quickly (like the price of a stock).

All this being said, the stock borrow-loan markets are one of the most opaque. It’s part of the risk of doing business.

#46     Jun 27, 2020
  7. tonyf

tonyf

Do you know what the rate is to short NKLA warrants? I cant find this info on TWS...

#47     Jun 27, 2020
  8. m1nt

m1nt

A general reference is Iborrowdesk.com.

It lists updated rates for IB. For other brokers, who knows? Call the trade desk? I don't use IB, but monitor cost basis daily on all of my accounts.

#48     Jun 27, 2020
  9. tonyf

tonyf

Thanks for that but acn you see warrants on this site?

#49     Jun 27, 2020
  10. m1nt

m1nt

nope. what is it NKLAW? maybe it isn't shortable.

#50     Jun 27, 2020