wrt54g how to access files over lan?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by just21, May 8, 2003.

1. just21

just21

I have set up my linksys wrt54g so that two pcs share the cable modem, one wirelessly. How do I access the files on the other pc?
    One pc runs xp theother win 2000. I was previously using internet connection sharing to share an isdn line but this did not work for the cable modem. I seemed to install a bridge on the xp machine but then the internet connection wouldn;t work and i still couldn't access the other pc.

thanks for any help.

2. The router should be defined as your network gateway in your network properties on each machine. You'll also either configure your two machines for DHCP or you'll need to assign each a unique internal IP address consistent with the internal IP address and an IP mask both consistent with that of the router. After that, both machines should be able to transparently share the single cable connection.

For sharing files between the two machines, that works like on any LAN (the router is effectively also creating a mini-LAN that your two machines are on). You can go the "My Network Neighborhood" or you can create shares on the machines and use mapped drives from one machine to the other.