Wrong Opening Price and GAP prices in TWS

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by vms01, Feb 25, 2020.

1. vms01

vms01

Hi,

today I unfortunately realized, that TWS is showing wrong information regarding "Opening Price" and "GAP change" in my watchlists, while "TWS Charts", "TWS Times and Sales" and other stock price sources (Yahoo finance, Google finance, finviz) show the correct information. Tested it with "latest" and "stable" versions.

Can anyone confirm?

e.g. stock prices for today 25th Feb. 2020: ARLO, AVNS, SLCA....

ARLO:

TWS Watchlist: Opening Price: $3,90 and GAP +$0,59

TWS Chart Candle: Opening price: $3,70 and GAP +$0,29 , same for Yahoo Finance and other Stock price sources.

AVNS:

TWS Watchlist: Opening Price: $32,66 and GAP +$2,06

TWS Chart Candle: Opening price: $31,05 and GAP +$0,45 same for Yahoo Finance and other Stock price sources.

TWS_wrong.png ARLO_yahoo.png TWS_ARLO_CHART1.png AVNS_yahoo.png

2. congrats

congrats

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 5.52.19 PM.png
    here is what i noticed on TWS 972.1x STABLE build......

Seems that "Close" price on mine is After hours close price....
    Do you know if "Open" price are always shown at Mid OR Bid OR Ask?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  3. vms01

vms01

my opinion, and this is what the TWS Chart and also Yahoo, Google etc. show, the OPEN Price is the First Price of the day at 930AM where the stock was bought/sold = a transaction happened.

and e.g. for ARLO it was definately $3.70 and not $3.90

4. congrats

congrats

If possible, shout out for help to any IBKR/TWS tech support guys @IB-AN @dst @def in this forum.

5. The current market cap of Interactive Brokers is USD 22 billion and was founded 42 years ago. When you find something wrong, start with the assumption that you are wrong.

The common denominator for your list of tickers is: NYSE.

IB uses the opening auction/cross price as the opening price, which is a better/more stable reflection of the opening price.

6. d08

d08

3.90 was the NYSE auction, the 3.70 is irrelevant as it's just the first trade.

For perspective - the 3.70 was a one lot, auction was 2 minutes later with 58,200 shares.

7. vms01

vms01

hmmm, I dont think thats right. So why is every source showing $3.70 (google finance, finviz, yahoo finance)? Even TWS Chart and times and sales?

Please check my screenshot of TWS times and sales for 9:30AM EST
    >>> (I´m from Europe, so its showing 1530 European time, but its actually 930AM EST

And before u start saying, that 58200 shares are more than 100 shares, that doesnt matter. 100 shares is the amount where trades start to get recorded.

ARLO_Times_and_sales.png

8. d08

d08

The NYSE auction was 2 minutes after the open, around 9:32:20 if I recall correctly.
    And in my time and sales, the first trade was 100 shares, apparently for you it's 9:29:59.

By "recorded" you mean the tape and no, that is just your opinion on how it should start. Many data sources consider the auction to be the start of the tape and the closing auction to be the end. Start and end prices are significant and should only rely on auctions not one lot noise.

9. vms01

vms01

ok, might be. But anyways, times and sales shows $3.70, all other sources (yahoo, google) show $3.70, even TWS charts + Times and sales. Only TWS watchlist column "opening price" $3.90. So its inconsistent information, which leads to wrong assumptions/decisions.

10. d08

d08

Yahoo and Google are highly unreliable and full of errors, not something to compare to. I do agree that IB should use the auction prices across everything, consistently.

#10     Feb 26, 2020