Writings During The Life of Jesus Prove His Existence?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by BernardRichards, Jun 2, 2008.

1. SKEPTIK

#21     Jun 4, 2008
  2. Because many people don't think for themselves when it comes to religion. Their parents shove it down their throats while they are very young and unable to mount a sophisticated argument against it. In some occasions, the end result is fanaticism.

A new law should be imposed: Religious beliefs should not be preached to anyone under the age of 18. By that age, he/she will be intelligent enough to choose any religion they like or none at all.

#22     Jun 4, 2008
  3. Fascism.

#23     Jun 4, 2008
  4. Ha! The world is a fanatical myth. Everytime a kid eats *Lucky Charms*, a myth is shoved down his throat. Everytime a child looks in the mirror, he/she is being lied to relative to identity. The lie is reinforced around the clock by "mother" and "father". In other words, by the *time* you are "born", myth about identity has been taken so seriously, it is all that true religion can do to undo it, and wash away the guilt that drives the madness.

Children are born in sin. This is misunderstood. Sin is a seriouly insane notion which denies the reality of the Son of God [Self]. The experience of birth could not seem real but for strange, alien notions embedded deeply into a fanatical consciousness. The longer you wait to begin undoing it, the longer it may take for the *adult* to hit the brakes, and bring the *crazy train* to a stop.

Jesus

#24     Jun 4, 2008
  5. hcour

hcour Guest

Well, I think the one thing we can all agree on - religious, agnostic, and atheist - in these threads is that it's a good sign that all involved are completely ignoring the clown that calls himself "I am...(a complete freakshow)".

Harold

#25     Jun 4, 2008
  6. What makes you think men were different then than they are now? For example:

Herod, Harold...what is the difference?

#26     Jun 5, 2008
  7. People were subject to information overload then as they are today. If there is not a keen interest in something, it is not necessarily going to register.

Can you name, without googling, the sitting president of Greece or Italy, or Israel for that matter? Can you name the "star" actors or actresses from any of those regions? Most everyone there can recite these names fluently. Can you?

Asking man to report the truth is like asking a fox to watch the chicken coop. Man represents the denial of the Son's reality. His knowledge is considered insane and irrelevant. So why report what would compromise the writer's reputation among the *sane* populace?

I have relevance mainly to those who are "thirsty". The world arises when the truth is written off as hearsay, legend, myth or madness. It is maintained by ignorance, that is, by literally ignoring the facts.

#27     Jun 5, 2008
  8. Haha this thread is a joke

Well then Epiphany then you have come to the right place. We are always on the lookout for jokers here.

It is widely accepted in academic circles by even SECULAR historians - that Jesus did in fact EXIST

Keep saying that 1,000,000 times more -- maybe it will become true. :p

Now the $100 million dollar question is: 'Was he actually the savior?' This of course is up for debate

Are you for real Epiphany?
    Epiphany in many Christian churches, is the yearly festival, held January 6, commemorating both the revealing of Jesus as the Christ to the Gentiles in the persons of the Magi and the baptism of Jesus.

The Did A Historical Jesus Exist? site by Jim Walker brings together numerous sources indicating that there is not a shred of reliable historical evidence indicating that a Historical Jesus as described in the Gospels ever existed. This you deny.
    However, you question whether he was the Savior??

And people say: 'Religion divides and causes conflict.'
    Yes - and this is AS IT SHOULD BE

Jesus never came to bring peace, how can you bring peace when there is an eternal struggle between good and evil? Jesus stood for the truth and he wanted people to choose sides, you with him, or against him?

How do you know what is good and what is evil Epiphany?
    Whether one accepts a historical Jesus or just the Jesus of faith all historians are in agreement that Jesus was a man peace and not a man of violence.

"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" - Jesus of Nazareth, as recorded in Matthew 5:44 (NIV translation)

"If someone strikes you on the cheek, offer him the other one as well, and if someone takes your coat, don't keep back your shirt, either" - Jesus of Nazareth, as recorded in Luke 6:29

“Do not repay evil for evil or insult with insult, but with blessing” — Peter

I think you have the wrong religion in mind when you think of Jesus urging his adherents to go smash the heads of those that don't accept him or his teachings.
    You are probably thinking of Allah's Last Messenger "PBUH", Mohammed ibn Abdullah, and the religion is called Islam.

'I am the prophet who laughs when he's killing the enemy' (04/19/2004) Omar Bakri Muhammad, Suspected Al Qaeda terrorist

Christians & Jewish martyrs say; "I will die for what I believe".
    A Muslim martyr says; "you will die for what I believe"....

#28     Jun 5, 2008
  9. Wow, I really must reconsider my notion on history in the area. They probably did have super-sized brains and were much more intelligent than the rest of us ... Do you think they specifically bred the really smart ones? What can have caused this brain-shrink in the rest of us, if that's not the case? Where are these superminds nowadays - can we see any traces in descendants or was it all a divine gift?

That enormous intellectual capacity is probably why they were the chosen ones too? If only I had one tenth of the brainpower of those ancient smart people, I probably could make a killing in the markets. I mean, if I don't adhere to your view I'm worthless ... should I blame my mother or father for being born such?
    :p

#29     Jun 5, 2008
  10. Oral tradition is weak evidence. For one thing, it is difficult to verify the veracity of oral tradition.

In regards to the gospels, these books contain numerous contradictions. They are unreliable, period.

This debate about Jesus' existence seems like a waste of time. Almost certainly Jesus did exist. As for the miracles and resurrection, they almost certainly did not happen.

Was Jesus the Saviour, the Son of God? Almost certainly, no; because Adam was not a historical person. No original sin of Adam, no need for a Saviour.

#30     Jun 5, 2008