writing put and calls

Discussion in 'Options' started by 1NCOGN1TO, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Im new to the options world. When i write call option, do i have to wait for it to get filled or is it something that happend immediatly?

2. CBC

CBC

You will need som1 on the other side of your trade. Can happen immediatly can take 5 mins. Depends what ur trading.

SPX options I think are the most liquid options on the market.

1NCOGN1TO likes this.
  3. It depends upon the order type. Limit, Market, etc. If the product is liquid, and your criteria is met and the market is open and trading, it should fill depending on the processing of your broker and the exchange being traded (which should be fast). -- Typically, most retail traders, will use limit orders for writing options (to get their desired price). This can take as much time as needed until someone on the other side of the trade agrees to meet your price as CBC stated. I'd say SPY options are much more liquid than SPX (but I do trade SPX, as it is liquidity is good enough)

1NCOGN1TO and lawrence-lugar like this.
  4. Braddock

Braddock

Like any market order it has to be filled. Have you ever seen any trade on stocks, forex or futures that did not need to be filled for it to become an open position for you?

File this under "questions you should already know the answer to if you're thinking about writing options"...

5. drcha

drcha

Christ, Braddock. How is the OP supposed to get his questions answered except by thinking about them and asking them? None of us were born knowing anything except how to poop and suck.

Yes, you have to wait for a fill.

1NCOGN1TO likes this.
  6. JackRab

JackRab

I'm with Braddock... options isn't for total newbies who have never done a trade...

So I would suggest to OP that he should first read a book about trading... trading for dummies or something basic, so he/she learns how to buy or sell...

7. jo0477

jo0477

Agree with Braddock and Jackrab. If you are asking this question there is no way in hell you should be writing naked options. Get a demo account, put on some trades, and watch what happens. Start to learn the Greeks, very important of you're writing imho. They may seem confusing at first but if you watch them in a trade, they eventually start to make much more sense. Also start with Natenburg's book. Can't beat it for a primer. If you dont understand the mechanics of getting filled you're doomed to failure and that's a cold hard fact.

8. IMHO: This is a complicated business. Anytime, you "think" you have studied enough, and understand well enough, there is "another bear behind another tree" you have failed to consider. Regarding responses you receive that are "abrasive" ... try to have a thick skin, and consider that just because someone comes across as a total @$$, does not necessarily mean their comments are completely invalid. Trading options caries significant risks (as you know). I often recall the advice given to me from a co-worker "There is a lot we don't know about the unknown!" ;-)

9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

If there is a buyer at your price. Of course if you use a market order, you will be filled immediately. Don't use a market order though unless you want to be sliced on the premium in a major way.--Izzy