Writing Covered Puts

Discussion in 'Options' started by exQQQQseme, Jan 16, 2007.

1. MTE

MTE

Bob,

I asked you to explain what you do with respect to this post:

Here you say that if you short 1000 stock, buy 10 call and sell 10 puts (at the same strike) you'll be somehow making money! This is called a reversal or in more layman's terms you short the stock and then long the synthetic stock so your net position is flat. You won't be making any money as your position is equivalent to nothing!

#81     Jan 21, 2007
  2. MTE, you're right if I were to stop right there. But, I don't. I wait until the stock moves, usually 1 strike price, then I adjust. The profit potential lies with the adjustments, not with just sitting on a present position.

Also, using the combination where we presently are...that is short 1000, Long 10C and Short 10P, usually the Calls are at a far out month and the short calls are at a short month. And before someone jumps in and tells me, I do realize that at this point, this is a synthetic calendar spread. One advantage of this over an actual calendar spread is that I can, if I wish, pick up a few additional negative deltas by shorting additional stock. And, I can do it in increments of less than 100 shares. I recognize that this is a small advantage, nevertheless an advantage. Every little bit helps.

If one looks at the common element of all of my postings, I start with shorting stock. Then I build around it. Then I contemplate adjustments and consider my new Greeks on a proforma basis. If I like what I see, I put in an order. If I don't like what I see, I keep tinkering, using a program I subscribe to, until I like what I see. That's what I do, and I'm very happy with the results. So I share, both here and elsewhere.

Bob

#82     Jan 21, 2007
  3. Ursa, you are the one who makes the personal attacks through the use of such terms as "ignorance". You won't find anywhere where I have resorted to those kind of personal put downs.

My question regarding your use of the word "trolling" was a fair question. The only time I have heard it used is in connection with game fishing, where the lure is attached to a line extended from the back of the boat so that the fish will chase a moving target. Sincerely, I don't know what you were getting at when you suggested that I was trolling. I still don't know what you meant. So, rather than ridicule the question, why not just answer it?

Finally, you chose to ridicule me when I offered to send anyone who asked, an Excel template formula for doing a particular options computation. I never said it was rocket science. I knew how basic it was even before your caustic response. I was just trying to do something for others. How can that be offensive?

Bob

#83     Jan 21, 2007
  4. nikko309

nikko309

QQQQ -

I don't know whether it's your writing style, lack of details or just a CYA mentality, but you are the cause of what you perceive as undue criticism. Here is your prior post:

You cite "collars or reverse collars with the same strike prices of the puts and calls at the same amount". Like it or not, as mentioned by others, these are synthetically equal to a conversion and a reversal.

And as mentioned, by MTE "Long call + short put is synthetic stock. So if you short the stock and long the synthetic stock you're flat and are not making any money. The synthetic stock will be above the natural by the cost of carry."

But now, magically, the long puts are for a further out month and you're defending your first statement by dissecting a synthetic calendar spread.

Ignoring what I think was a typo (I surmise that you meant "puts at a far out month"), if you don't want to learn about synthetics, so be it. But if you post wasn't clear or you accidentally omitted a detail, just own up to it instead of running people in circles. Let readers know whether you want to discuss calendars, collars or conversions/reversals.

#84     Jan 21, 2007
  5. MTE, if I may, I would like to expand a little bit on my response to you two postings above, in the second paragraph...where I spoke of the synthetic equivalent of a calendar spread. Another difference between this and the actual calendar is that the calendar requires an opening net debit. This one, which opens with a net credit (due to the short stock) is more highly leveraged. Therefore, the cost to carry (exclusive of transactional costs, which apply in both situations) is limited to margin interest. The margin interest is somewhat complicated, hence I will not go into it at this time. But, I will say that the "marginal debt" is net of the cash received for the short put.

Regarding the intrinsic and extrinsic thing, one small thing to mention is that if the stock goes either up or down to the next strike price, the first adjustment which would come to mind would be to adjust the short puts to the price of the stock, because the extrinsic value of an option is always greatest at the money. (Yes, Ursa, this is also very fundamental and basic.)

Bob

#85     Jan 21, 2007
  6. MTE

MTE

Bob,

As Nikko has already mentioned it above, your intial post said nothing about different expirations or adjustments. Are we supposed to read your mind on this stuff!?

#86     Jan 21, 2007
  7. MTE, no I don't expect you to read my mind, or anyone else's mind. These public Bulletin Boards are not the most efficient means of communicating. You, Nikko, and I do the best we can in the circumstances. We are all people who are passionate about this subject of options trading. In that connection, even with these communicating limitations, it is wonderful that people from all over the world have a forum such as this where we can express our different opinions, even when we're not perfect when it comes to saying what we mean to say.

My postings are already too wordy. On a subject such as options strategies I don't believe it is possible for one to cover every contingent aspect of everything we say here. So, respectfully I say to you: If something needs clarification, merely ask a question. Hopefully, we can then clarify as quickly and as best we can.

Bob

#87     Jan 21, 2007