Writing a book on Trading my way.

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Zhuge, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Zhuge -

If your book is any good (i.e., well written and containing new material of interest to a large audience), one of the commercial publishers that specialize in trading books (check out a Borders or Barnes & Noble and note all the publishers who publish trading related books) will consider a draft submission.

But unless you're a recognized name, they'll want the completed book submitted for review along with a selling synopsis - don't expect to get a deal with just an outline and a sample chapter. And don't expect any advance for a first book. Commercial commissions are fairly standardized so don't expect to negotiate "a deal".

If no commercial publisher will take your book or you want to try self-publishing and then selling it yourself on the internet, you can go the e-publishing route (I believe someone already noted a link) or a "vanity publisher".

Good luck.

#11     Apr 21, 2002
  2. Zhuge

Zhuge

Appreciated all the comments,

I'll try to answer some questions that are brought up.
    Firstly I have reid alot of trading books, name a book I probably had reid, or skim through it.

The folks down at Chapters knows me by first name basis :)

So therefore I wanted to write a trading book, that is not the same as the ones out there.

My book will be more indepth, just concentrating on "My way of trading". It will not be a beginners book, it will be for people who already know the basics, but are looking for ways to improve , or for struggling traders looking for another system.

A small part of it will deal with my career from a fresh new trader who thought the market was easy as putting money in and after few days, sell and get rich quick scheme. And it was just that easy when I first started in the bull market. Wow, how much that has changed.

The book is not anywhere near completion , or as good as I want it to be yet.

So therefore, I have lots of time to consider my options.

#12     Apr 22, 2002
  3. IMO the only reason to write a book is to use it as a marketing tool to promote an advisory service or gain notoriety to raise money from investors. Let's be realistic here, you don't make a lot of money with a book and why give away your trading tactics if not for a good reason. The only other reason I could see is somebody at the end of their career who wants to publish to leave a legacy. Now there is nothing wrong with writing a book to promote a service but better make it not too obvious.

#13     Apr 22, 2002