WOW responses from my local paper wether recession over

Discussion in 'Economics' started by piggie2000, Sep 15, 2009.

1. this was printed today on my online newspaper in wether the recessions over. i was stunned as people in the real world are hurting and angry, heres a few of the responses but all 29 were negative which stunned me

12:22 pm September 15, 2009, by Henry Unger

Do you think the recession has ended?

Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke said today that he thinks the ” recession is very ikely over at this point,” the Wall Street Journal reports.

But Bernanke added that it’s still going to feel like a very weak economy because credit conditions remain tight and a decline in the unemployment rate will probably only happen gradually, the WSJ wrote.

If that’s the case, is the recession really over?

Technically, economists expect the gross domestic product to expand by about 3 percent this quarter, which would halt the slide. But if unemployment continues to rise, as it is likely to do, should we be defining the recession in such narrow terms?

What do you think?
    ShareThisPrint

29 comments

September 15th, 2009
    1:54 pm
    Personally, I do not believe the recession is over. It will take more to convience me that it is over than some Chairman saying that it is. When I see with my own eyes that jobs are being created and see people spending money again, then I will officially say that the recession is over.

Link Report this comment Taylor Wooden

September 15th, 2009
    2:44 pm
    More propaganda. Tell the Chairman to climb down out of his ivory tower for a few days…..leave Washington…..visit some random towns….then report back.

Link Report this comment BiteMe

September 15th, 2009
    2:47 pm
    HA HA HA HA HA! I don’t think so……

Link Report this comment Snellville

September 15th, 2009
    2:53 pm
    Amazing what people from the inside (Washington) try to analyze what people from the outside (Main stream America) are experiencing. Job losses, foreclosures, crime, the economy.

Link Report this comment WISDOMFROMFOOLS

September 15th, 2009
    2:59 pm
    SO IF SOME ONE TOLD YOU THAT DOG POOP TASTE GOOD WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?

Link Report this comment Bill

September 15th, 2009
    3:01 pm
    you can’t fix stupid, and DC is covered up with it….

Link Report this comment Peadawg

September 15th, 2009
    3:03 pm
    Go tell the unemployed that the recession is over…see what they say.

Link Report this comment Nate

September 15th, 2009
    3:12 pm
    I just left the unemployment office and had to wait over 2 hours due to the number of people there. I passed several foreclosure properties along the way ! Go tell all of these indiviuals that the recession is over !! I think not !!!

Link Report this comment Bud Flu

September 15th, 2009
    3:14 pm
    He’s right. The Recession is over. Now, we are getting into the “New” Great Depression.

Link Report this comment Reggie Reg

September 15th, 2009
    3:19 pm
    I wonder if Bernanke really has a clue. As a mortgage professional I am on the front lines, and I can assure you that the recession is not close to being over. Knee jerk reactions to dumb statements like this equate to higher interest rates due to an uptick in stock activity. People are stil hurting, and I speak to many of them everyday. There is nothing I can do for a lot of individuals even with the government programs. I am making less than half of what I used to make, so the recession is alive and well in my world.

Link Report this comment robert

September 15th, 2009
    3:21 pm
    Perhaps the freefall is over, the wholesale dumping of employees over, but the recession? Not a chance. Check back in a year and see if unemployeed workers are being rehired.

Link Report this comment Stan

September 15th, 2009
    3:21 pm
    Recession is over! Now on to the Depression!

I say this somewhat in jest as I did find out today that I’m out of a job in 2 months. My wife is already out of job. Depression sounds about right to me.

Link Report this comment