Wow, apple holding an actual conference about the iphone 4

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Jul 15, 2010.

1. S2007S

S2007S

I cant believe they are actually holding a "conference" about a smartphone. I think this could have been avoided if they postponed the delivery of the iphone by a month or 2 to fix the problem, but we all know that investors would have seen at least a 20% dip in apple shares and the apple lemmings would start crying that they couldn't get their newest apple phone they so desperately needed after buying the iphone 3gs just months before. Apple doesn't need to worry as their lemmings will still buy the iphone 4 no matter what the issue is.

Apple to Hold iPhone Press Conference Friday
    Published: Thursday, 15 Jul 2010 | 6:28 AM ET
    Text Size
    By: Reuters

Apple has called a surprise press conference for Friday to talk about the iPhone 4, as the company continues to deal with fallout from reported reception problems on its popular smartphone.

Apple spokesman Steve Dowling said late on Wednesday the company would hold the event at 10 a.m. on Friday at its headquarters in Cupertino, California.

He declined to provide further details, or to say whether the event will address the signal-strength problems that some people have reported having with the iPhone 4 when the device is held in a certain way.

Apple has faced mounting criticism from analysts and consumers over its handling of complaints about the reception issues on the newest iPhone, which was launched last month.

Analysts say Apple has created a public relations headache for itself by appearing to dismiss or ignore the problem, allowing a minor issue to be turned into headline news.

Although most analysts believe a recall of the device is unlikely, a growing chorus have urged Apple to resolve the matter, perhaps by offering free iPhone cases, which appear to solve the problem.

The iPhone 4 has been an unqualified hit with consumers, and sales have so far been unaffected by the controversy, analysts say. Apple sold 1.7 million units in its first three days to become the fastest selling device in the company's history.

But scattered reports cropped up early on from users who complained about decreased signal strength when they touched certain parts of the phone.

The company has been sued by several consumers over the matter. Still, the problem does not appear to be widespread.

Earlier this month, Apple issued a statement, saying the problem was caused by a software glitch that overstates network signal strength. But some found that explanation wanting.

Many who follow the company believe the problem is with the hardware itself. A steel band runs along the outside of the iPhone 4 and acts as the antenna.

The influential publication Consumer Reports said on Monday it could not recommend the iPhone 4 to buyers because of problems with its signal-strength. It has called on Apple to provide a free fix to iPhone 4 buyers.

Shares of Apple [AAPL 252.727 --- UNCH (0) ] closed up 0.4 percent at $252.73 on Nasdaq on Wednesday.

2. "I’m beginning to think that Antennagate -- the so-called scandal over the Apple iPhone 4’s reception issues -- has become the most ridiculous tech story of the year," Michael Comeau writes for Minyanville.

"Let’s recap the problem," Comeau writes. "A small number of people reported iPhone 4 reception problems related to how they held the phone. I say a 'small number"' because there's still absolutely zero evidence of a high return rate or widespread customer dissatisfaction."

"Then, a whole bunch of media types started trying to recreate the problem themselves by holding their phones every which way, trying to get the signal to drop," Comeau writes. "So while these techno-hypochondriacs didn’t actually suffer from or notice this problem, they were determined to do so once they saw the opportunity to jump all over Apple."

Comeau writes, "Consumer Reports delivered a magnificent troll job this week when it said it 'couldn’t recommend the iPhone 4.' ...I’m just playing devil’s advocate here, but who cares about how well the iPhone 4 performs in an isolation chamber? I don’t make phone calls from my isolation chamber. No, I only use my isolation chamber to breathe in pure oxygen and protect myself from germs."

"But wait, there’s more," Comeau writes. "When Consumer Reports first looked at the iPhone 4, it said “some reviewers have reported problems with reduced reception when the iPhone 4 is being held in the left hand. So far, we’ve been unable to replicate the problems.” Unable to replicate the problems. Unable to replicate the problems. Unable to replicate the problems. Get it?"

3. It's more than a year, so more than a year that is 'just months' for you ?

I hope you trade better than you form your personal opinions.

4. nickdes

nickdes

Maybe, AAPL will come back to earth now. This is absolutely ridiculous, the love affair America has with Apple is likely coming to an end. : )

5. Apple is the new MSFT. Throw some shit on the shelves and let the first wave of buyers work out the kinks. They did it with the new iPAD and now they're doing it with the iPhone.

6. jprad

jprad

The same applies to any new product from any company, not just AAPL or MSFT.

If you buy the 1.0 release of anything new you're just paying up to be a beta tester.

7. Yes, but Apple and their following have always looked down their nose at MSFT for doing this. Apple, for quite some time, did do a better job of de-bugging prior to release of product. Seems now they've joined the herd, and the herd ain't trading at the multiples they are.

8. wickcity

wickcity

How can you be surprised they are holding a news conference on something that has a HUGE impact on their bottom line. Its a significant part of their business.