Wow, 99er's get extension ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by hippie, Dec 6, 2010.

1. just like military service should never force anyone into conscription,
    only people that want to work should work.

#11     Dec 6, 2010
  2. wartrace

wartrace

Yes, the social security/medicare is a DIFFERENT government ponzi scheme totally unrelated to unemployment benefits. :D

#12     Dec 6, 2010
  3. I see unemployment benefits being extended forever. No one will ever work if they can make the same or more on unemployment.

#13     Dec 6, 2010
  4. wartrace

wartrace

No, the "99'ers" are not getting an extension. "99'er" as defined by having already collected 99 weeks of unemployment.

They are discussing funding the federal unemployment payments for those in weeks 27 through 99 (in some states) which expired on November 30th.As of November 30th, if your initial 26 week state claim expires, you are finished.

There is no pending legislation regarding extending the period past 99 weeks.

I support the 99 week period due to the nature of the jobs lost PROVIDING you are doing something to add skills that will help you become employed again. In my state (Tennessee) there have been almost 90,000 manufacturing jobs lost since 2007. These people are NEVER working in manufacturing again. They need time to change skills in order to become employable again.

(Change into what is a very good question though)

#14     Dec 6, 2010
  5. I agree. Perhaps if there was not such a great income disparity between corporate titans and their workers, a 21st century wage would be paid. Instead we have a 1970's wage for the working class. People might be more inclined to get back to work if they were going to be paid a living wage. Of course this assumes the corportate thugs would be hiring in the first place.

#15     Dec 6, 2010
  6. wartrace

wartrace

I don't think the majority of Americans realize just how screwed this economy is. The 2,000,000+ manufacturing jobs lost in the past two years are gone forever. 2/3rds of the jobs created since the declared "end" of the recession are in the "part time economy" (jobs paying in the 20k range) as opposed to the "middle class" jobs that were lost (jobs paying in the 60k range).

Construction jobs will come back but nowhere near the levels seen previously.

Wages for the working class have actually DECREASED over the past ten years and those lost wages have been compensated for with consumer debt. Look at the growth of private sector debt over the past decade- it clearly shows that people have been pulling forward wages by borrowing. The economy was based on the growth of debt.

Extending unemployment is just delaying the inevitable. Things will be no better in a year.

#16     Dec 6, 2010
  7. The extension does not extend the number of weeks on which anyone can collect unemployment. That number still stands exactly where it did before the extension, which is a maximum of 99 weeks.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/40567982

#17     Dec 9, 2010
  8. clacy

clacy

That is interesting. I hadn't heard that before and it certainly isn't portrayed that way in the media. Do you have any other sources for this?

#18     Dec 9, 2010
  9. #19     Dec 9, 2010
  10. dcvtss

dcvtss

IMPORTANT: If the EUC Program is extended it will not add any additional weeks of benefits. If you have exhausted your EUC benefits, no additional benefits will be available.

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/euc.shtml

#20     Dec 9, 2010