Would you trade with 56K dial-up?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EMini-Player, Apr 10, 2003.

1. "I had 55 winners in a row!!!"

---mrmarket, AOL dial up user---

[​IMG]

#41     Jul 19, 2003
  2. Used a phone line for the first three years of my "career". Had lots of problems but they all concerned the Phonee.

#42     Jul 19, 2003
  3. Who in the hell is choosing their tools solely on cost? Is that insult directed at me?

I have Tradestation 2000i, had Tradestation 4 and 3.5, do you think that was cheap to purchase? My satellite data is much more costly than internet delivered quotes.

I trade ES and have never had any problem with bottlenecks or cpu overload. I set up my system to "work" the best no matter the cost. If my phoneline modem quits I still have realtime quotes from the satellite and can call my broker to close out a position when needed. If the satellite would go out I still have quotes and order entry through Jtrader.

That is a three tier backup. Satellite, modem and cellphone. It has worked great. I put a lot of time and thought into implementing it. I am sorry if it is not expensive enough to meet your needs.[b/]

The author of this thread is fasttrader, but I was humbly contributing my thoughts to this thread, not with the intent of insulting anyone. Please speak up if I offend you.... anyone. I have re-read my post and I cannot see the insult.

The majority of Traders, "Futures traders" especially use a high speed connection. I can understand your defensive posture as you are using dial-up that is outside of the norm.

CPU usage is dependent upon individual factors such as how many windows are opened, number of monitors, software used....etc....already discussed here earlier.

Your comment to my approval of the cost or lack of cost is a non-issue, as I already explained that consideration of cost alone is not enough for me to make a decision with.

Anyway's, I do not see a future for dial up and it is unfortunate that many traders in rural areas are forced to use the likes of dial up because of geography.

I am not here to insult and to discuss satellite as the author of this thread fast trader did not talk about it. It is understood that many traders in Rural Areas do not have a choice and forced to use satellite. I personally have had satellite from the day DTN has introduced it.....so count the years. I no longer find it necessary with the quality of E-signal data feed with Investor R/T charting platform. But for stock traders DTN is great. No symbol limit and great speed with independence from the internet.

Your spirit is refreshing chasem and your carefully thought into your trading room configuration is admirable.

Michael B.

#43     Jul 19, 2003
  4. Who in the hell is choosing their tools solely on cost? Is that insult directed at me?

I have Tradestation 2000i, had Tradestation 4 and 3.5, do you think that was cheap to purchase? My satellite data is much more costly than internet delivered quotes.

I trade ES and have never had any problem with bottlenecks or cpu overload. I set up my system to "work" the best no matter the cost. If my phoneline modem quits I still have realtime quotes from the satellite and can call my broker to close out a position when needed. If the satellite would go out I still have quotes and order entry through Jtrader.

That is a three tier backup. Satellite, modem and cellphone. It has worked great. I put a lot of time and thought into implementing it. I am sorry if it is not expensive enough to meet your needs.

The author of this thread is fast trade, but I was humbly contributing my thoughts to this thread, not with the intent of insulting anyone. Please speak up if I offend you.... anyone. I have re-read my post and I cannot see the insult.

The majority of Traders, "Futures traders" especially use a high speed connection. I can understand your defensive posture as you are using dial-up that is outside of the norm.

CPU usage is dependent upon individual factors such as how many windows are opened, number of monitors, software used....etc....already discussed here earlier.

Your comment to my approval of the cost or lack of cost is a non-issue, as I already explained that consideration of cost alone is not enough for me to make a decision with.

Anyway's, I do not see a future for dial up and it is unfortunate that many traders in rural areas are forced to use the likes of dial up because of geography.

I am not here to insult and to discuss satellite as the author of this thread fast trader did not talk about it. It is understood that many traders in Rural Areas do not have a choice and forced to use satellite. I personally have had satellite from the day DTN has introduced it.....so count the years. I no longer find it necessary with the quality of E-signal data feed with Investor R/T charting platform. But for stock traders DTN is great. No symbol limit and great speed with independence from the internet.

Your spirit is refreshing chasem and your carefully thought into your trading room configuration is admirable.

Michael B.

#44     Jul 19, 2003
  5. Hey Chasman,

Do you find that J-Trader takes forever to load on dialup? It does for me, and I'd like to know if you have the same experience.

Cheer,

kp

#45     Jul 20, 2003
  6. PLUUHEZE! Doesn't Netzero also bombard you with ads and have their own software you need to dial in with?

For $9.95 a month good old Compuserve will give you a dialup internet connection. Although they were bought out by AOL, I recently discovered you can still get the service. I cancelled my AOL account because their price was too high. The fella on the line then offered me Compuserve for 9.95 a month.

It's a straight internet connection with no special AOL browser and popup ads.

Cheer,

kp

#46     Jul 20, 2003
  7. chasmann

chasmann

Yes indeed, there is a 7 min. wait for the program to download and get me logged in and ready to trade. I asked my broker about the software version (they send it on a disk), it should load in seconds but my broker didn't recommend it.

It has become a non issue for me as it has become part of the morning routine to start the download and then get breakfast, Jtrader is running B-4 the coffee is ready.

#47     Jul 20, 2003
    #48     Jul 21, 2003
  9. I've never had to wait 7 mins for JTrader to load (except maybe first time on a new machine). I have 56k dialup, and estimate around 1-2 minutes is closer.

#49     Jul 21, 2003
  10. I don't have any experience with Compuserve, but I do with NetZilch - they bite the big red candle stick. Signed up with their "Platinum" service for $9.95, 11/2001. Results? Disconnects after relatively short inactivity; A PAY-for support plan, per call; forced "home" page with ads; downloaded software.

Just about 2 months later, when I was going to cancel the year's subscription prematurely and get a refund, I received a letter that stated they were discontinuing my service due to my usage time!! I was on for maybe 3-4 hours/day and frequented NetMeeting discussions on occasion. They stated I was too expensive for them as a customer! :mad:

I never felt happier saying goodbye to a service provider. :D

#50     Jul 21, 2003