Would you trade with 56K dial-up?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EMini-Player, Apr 10, 2003.

1. nitro

nitro

RS7,

That doesn't sound right. Charting is not dependent on the speed of your datafeed/connection so much as the speed of your computer/graphics card. Even poor software could be the culprit...

nitro

#11     Apr 11, 2003
  2. From the posts so far, it seems like it's definitely do-able. I guess I'll just have to keep my data downloads to a minimum, i.e. only have my charts and ordering screen open.

I'll see how it goes in the morning. As long as the charts are being updated properly, I don't see an issue. If I do trade, I'll post my results as to how it went here on ET. My cable connection will be in mid next week so this is temporary.

Thanks to all who replied! :)

#12     Apr 11, 2003
  3. Andre

Andre

>> I traded at one time with a 9600 baud modem. Quotes were pretty good. Orders, of course in those days were done on the phone. Pre Web Days (stone age, 1991). <<

And you know, in 1991, 9600 was flyin'! I was still using 2400 because AOL didn't have a faster connection in my town. I've used 33,000 for IB and QT and it's been ok. I wouldn't scalp pennies on a dial up connection, but for my swing style of trading, I could certainly trade with dial up. Last time I went to my folks in the boonies I was connecting via AOL at 22,000 and was able to get QT up with IB. Didn't trade that week, so I don't know about executions, but the quotes sure seemed to be working normally.

André

#13     Apr 11, 2003
  4. rs7

rs7

Yeah, now that I think about it, it easily could have been a 2400. (4800? so long ago, I really don't recall...definitely pre-14.4). I think I could only fax at 9600. And also, what you say about scalping is very true. Now, a fraction of a second can make a difference. Prior to decimalization, this was not as crucial. Also, at that time I was trading option spreads (I can't believe now what the commissions were that I thought were so great with Brown and Co.), and holding them for days, if not longer.

Peace,
    :)Rs7

#14     Apr 11, 2003
  5. Miki

Miki

Four days a week I trade on my laptop from the hotel room.

It is doable!

You just have to learn to trade slower and submit your order (with stop order attached) faster.

#15     Apr 11, 2003
  6. Speed dial back in as fast you can, man! :D

I once tested my backup earthlink dial-up account with a 3-monitor esignal setup and about 25 IB quotes simultaneously and it was surprisingly good, once it loaded. The only problem was populating large charts, like 1-year daily or multi-day 5-minute. But if you don't change tickers it runs pretty well. I was only connected at 28.8-33.6, the fastest my fone lines would allow.

#16     Apr 11, 2003
  7. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

NO, no and NO.......
    Take a rest dude, enjoy your time off:cool:

#17     Apr 11, 2003
  8. i used a 56k modem and a laptop with barely ever any problems back in the day. you shouldn't have a problem.

best,

surfer

#18     Apr 11, 2003
  9. Alright, here's a follow up. I ended up not trading today, which was probably a good thing considering how quickly everything reversed this morning. I usually trade using my PC for charting and a laptop for order entry. But today, since I could only dial-up through my PC, I was forced to use it for both charting and order entry, and that was the reason I didn't trade. Also, I'm usually in a trade for 10-15 min. and felt the order entry wasn't quick enough to get me in/out safely. I'm probably just gonna sit it out till next week unless I find a very nice setup that can be played on a longer time frame.

Thanks again to everyone for their feedback. :cool:

#19     Apr 11, 2003
  10. bmwstox

bmwstox

"Fuck no" - Scarface

#20     Apr 12, 2003