Would you trade with 56K dial-up?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EMini-Player, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Have any of you ever traded off of a 56-K dial-up connection? I use DSL, but it's down and won't be back up til next week. I'm considering trading using my 56-k modem. :eek:

2. I traded all of last summer at my parents house on a 56k. I had no problems.

3. I went on a vacation, brought my laptop, used dial-up.....was pleasantly surprised.

4. I used to have DSL, but moved to a rural area, and so use a 56K modem. I'm running TradeStation 6 and J-Trader. On my first J-Trader trade the system choked just as soon as I entered market. I had to close TS6 before J-Trader would work again. Now I'm running two computer and modems, one with J-Trader and the other with TS6. Seems to work alright.

kp

5. LouieR

LouieR

It will be slower than DSL but it will work. I'm 33,000 cable feet from my serving CO so I'm stuck with 56K for the time being.

6. nitro

nitro

Yes, but not all strategies.

nitro

7. gnome

gnome

I have 2 computers on separate dialup lines. One for J-Trader and a couple of other things, and the other for everything else. It all works fine. You might, however, try to limit how much data is trying to cram down the phone wire if you're concerned about any lag in execution time.

8. rs7

rs7

I would think that for price quotes and order entry, 56k should be ok. For charting, my T1 is usually too slow.

I traded at one time with a 9600 baud modem. Quotes were pretty good. Orders, of course in those days were done on the phone. Pre Web Days (stone age, 1991).

9. uhhh, sure...

and I'd fight in downtown Baghdad w/ a water pistol!

Get a grip, brutha!

:eek:

10. I've tested dial up side by side with a T1 and noticed no difference.
    However, like Nitro and others have said, you can't expect to open tons of stuff simultaneously.

The biggest problem I see is that a dial up connection is much more likely to drop off. Then what?

#10     Apr 11, 2003