Would you share a trading idea?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by reno4nook, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Going by ET popular widom, most trade methods un-profitably, public or private.
    :cool:

#31     Oct 9, 2005
  2. Babak, have you been able to build any Non intuitive
    system around those educational stuff you mentioned,
    aside from any profitability talks?

#32     Oct 9, 2005
  3. Of all the lies told on ET, this ranks near the top. "I don't talk about the way I trade-not even to friends". WTF do you do 8 hours a day 5 days in a week in the chat room Nitro? Is it all a diversion to what you are REALLY doing?

#33     Oct 9, 2005
  4. the more people trade your stocks, the better. it will increase the number of suckers. volume is everything.

#34     Oct 9, 2005

5. maybe that is where he is telling what he wished he was doing! :D

buuuuuusssssssteeeeeed!!! :eek:

JK :D

#35     Oct 9, 2005
  6. you make excellent points. personally, i have my best months when i am paired with a new trader to mentor. it gives me a chance to go over my own rules and focus on them and scrap some bad habits i may have developed. the mere discussion with a newbie helps my own discipline and open up some great ideas.

but everyone would not agree.

i had a guy who used to be on my trading desk who continues to insist that i do not share anything with anyone (after i pretty much got him a position after selling used cars and showed him everything). there i am talking about bonds with a few traders at work, and the guy begins to cringe...

#36     Oct 9, 2005

7. YES - Even if you had the best system in the world, a majority of the individuals you initially told wouldn't believe you anyway. They would berate you in forums like this and lie about you to mask their own disabilities in verifying what you do. The bit of satisfaction would come from the handful of traders that follow what you do "to the letter" and succeed wildly. That satisfaction would far outweigh the torment of the ignorance & liars. Then your small group would get together each year an laugh at all the nay-sayers.

#37     Oct 9, 2005

8. There is popular wisdom in here on a consistent basis?

#38     Oct 9, 2005
  9. Out of all the systems I studied, glanced at and researched I can honestly say I have only seen only one derived from consistency. That is "The" reason a system will blunt and dissolve over time. Trading patterns, calculations or pulling rabbits out of a hat will only work for a limited time.

#39     Oct 9, 2005
  10. There is a lot of valuable information that can be shared since a successful approach is not a monolithic system of buy and sell signals and could never be. Market behavior is a living thing, resulting from the actions of people who are continuously learning from previous behavior. Rules change continuously but not logic, so successful traders are people who know how to put information together and which information to consider in the current context. The information they use is a disparate combination of elements such as statistics, news, comments, algorithm outputs and charts, and the way they process any of that information is a continuously evolving approach that either involves secrecy and more lab work, in the case of algorithms and charts, or more discussion, in the case of non-quantitative information and processes.

There have been few instances when exchanging opinions with other people in this forum contributed to fine tuning my logical understanding of market behavior. It usually happens when somebody raises a question that I feel to be very pertinent and deserving of an answer. At that point, I start reflecting more seriously on the matter; come up with an explanation; describe my thesis publicly and; in the process of doing so, clarify my understanding of the context and what is going on and end up making a really good call (except for FX, not my game apparently).

#40     Oct 9, 2005