Would you sell your proprietary strategies?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by formikatrading, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Well, I do sell my techniques in a sense.
    I train traders in the UK to trade US shares intraday using my specific entry and exit methods, position, risk and money management, choice of shares, patterns, reading time and sales, level 2 and so on. I trade for a living and train as a side business, although last week I taught some of my techniques to 160 people in a two hour session at the Bloomberg Centre in the City of London.
    Why do I do it? Because I enjoy teaching, it gets me away from my trading desk to meet lots of interesting people a few times a month - it broadens my horizons.
    I also get quite a kick out helping to change wannabee traders into successful profitable ones. The feedback from Bloomberg was excellent and very gratifying and satisfying.
    Yes, I make money out of it, but no more than I make on an average trading day anyway.
    Why am I posting this? Just a different perspective on the previous posts.
    No, I'm NOT writing this looking for more customers.
    I'm in London, England and you guys/girls are mainly in the US so there wouldn't be any point anyway!
    Not all 1-2-1 coaches and seminar presenters are trying to screw you.
    Richard

#21     Feb 8, 2004
  2. You have it all wrong. Or at least three assumptions (which are all wrong) (1) Only ET members will use the "system" (2) everyone trades 1 contract (3) the "system" suppose to work on ES.

This is exactly why I wrote "of course for such a thing to actually happen in real markets you need a huge user base"

Now, a huge user base can actually have an effect on the market and with this effect others will join because the good trader goes where the wind blows and if the wind says the market is turning he will join the crowed. So now you have not only the system users turning the market but also other "quick to react" traders doing the same and ... You have a reversal.

As I said before, this is just talk, since you truly need a huge user base :)

TM Trader

#22     Feb 8, 2004
  3. True, but what can you really teach in a two hour seminar?

#23     Feb 8, 2004
  4. You're quite right, not a great deal, but most people are already quite knowledgeable so it's not as if you are trying to teach raw rookies. The 1-2-1 sessions I do are very intensive and last a minimum of seven hours - though I often run on to 8-9 hours.
    Richard

#24     Feb 8, 2004
  5. Cutten

Cutten

Would anyone here turn down $1 billion in exchange for their proprietary trading strategies?

For a trader, everything is for sale - it's simply a matter of price.

#25     Feb 8, 2004
  6. What do you mean you "know" the system best? If your system is really a system, i.e. completely mechanical, there are no degrees of knowledge within the system. You either follow it or don´t.

Are you suggesting either:

a) the system is discretionary, and your edge over the masses is that your discretion is superior or

b) you don´t fully discolse the details of your system to buyers, thereby leaving yourself with some edge to get in before they do.

It seems that unless you do one of the two, your edge will dissappear.

#26     Feb 8, 2004
  7. pspr

pspr

Not just for a trader! Everything is always for sale for a price. Not always a price in dollars but never the less a price.

i.e. A guy meets an incredibly beautiful girl at a party but realizes she is way out of his league and would never consider dating him. So he asks her, "If I could pay you one million dollars to sleep with me tonight, would you do it?"

She thinks for a few seconds then replies, "Well, I guess for one million in cash I would sleep with you just one night."

With a big grin on his face, he says to her, "Now that we've determined what you are, we just need to negotiate the price."

#27     Feb 8, 2004
  8. Vishnu

Vishnu

I would and I did. My book is coming out two weeks from today - "Trade Like a Hedge Fund" detailing many of the systems I use for my fund on a daily basis. The question is, why would one do it?

For one thing, I think its pretty rare, if not impossible, for anyone to have the discipline to follow another person's system. I've given out my code, etc to people and nobody plays the systems in the same way. Second of all, I learn from the interactions I have with people trying my systems or similar systems. Third, I'm always developing new stuff under the theory that eventually the old stuff wears out. I have confidence that I will always find the latest and greatest.

-James

#28     Feb 8, 2004
  9. admittedly teaching is easier than trading. So what the heck, I will show you how to make money and build a system. I am a 20+ year software/trading veteran, with commercial trading trading desk experience in SF, so I have the resume.
    What I teach you may not work if you do not follow and it may still incur loses - I would not tell you peep until you sign a NDA and a release.

P.S. My book is also coming out this year.... :)

#29     Feb 8, 2004
  10. Wow those are some credentials andrasnm where do I sign?

#30     Feb 8, 2004