Would you refuse if Goldman made you an offer?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by turkeyneck, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Goldman Sachs Still Shines for MBAs Who Ignore ‘Hype’

Jan. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Nicole Zenel, an MBA student, has read the negative stories about Goldman Sachs Group Inc.’s role in the financial crisis, its subsequent record profits and its decision to set aside $16.7 billion for pay and bonuses after receiving $10 billion from the U.S. Treasury.

That didn’t stop Zenel from applying there for an internship.

“I’m not looking at it for that $20 million bonus,” said Zenel, 24, who is pursuing a master’s degree in business administration at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Sloan School of Management in Cambridge. “I’m more looking at it as an opportunity to work for a solid firm that has a track record of success.”

“If you ask most people, ‘If Goldman came in tomorrow and made you an offer, would you take it?’ most people would accept,” Zenel said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=a5m_sdPWeG.M&pos=11

2. mockney

mockney

depends if the offer was to clean the toilets, or something more interesting

3. i worked for some tier 1 companies such as goldman (not IB's) and i dont regret it but i resigned and i am no longer interested in working for any any of them.

so it is good to work for them for some time but no more than a couple of years.

these companies are scum and will destroy from inside out if you stay there long enough. see the stories about guys committing suicide while being employees there. the media tries to silence it but every once in a while we hear it. i know many people that literally lost it while working at these places. not good for anyone above 30, imo.

at some point, we need to go off grid if we want to stay healthy.

4. great posts everyone :)

5. I worked in the industry at a top-tier bank for a while. The job itself was ok, but the reason I left was because my good manager left and I had a douchebag replace him. That was enough for me. But I agree with the other poster -- just work there long enough to get their name on your resume, and then just move on. That in and of itself opens up better opportunities.

These mega-finance companies are ruled by a brand of politics that doesn't necessarily favor the right kinds of people. I am having much more fun and success at a smaller place that is more maneuverable and regularly competes with the big boys. This isn't to say I'm politically inept -- it's just that slogging your way through the corporate ladder is truly, truly not worth dedicating a lifetime to unless you're in a very high-visibility piece of the business.

6. I call bullshit.

7. This tells me you've never seen the inside of a firm like that - at least not the inside that's separate from the lobby...

8. As much as I speak negatively of GS.....golden slacks, I am envious yes as I have said before. That's the most honest post you will see on ET today. :eek:

Doesn't everyone want an unfair advantage? Of course they do. We aren't philanthropists, at least not primarily.

Would they give me shot, no way Jose. I don't have the pedigree.

I actually talked to my cousin about it, she work at HSBC in Dublin. To her understanding, doors are a bit more open for someone that demonstrates talent in EU, regardless of connections and where you got your degree from.

9. ashatet

ashatet

"Doesn't everyone want an unfair advantage? "

This is rubbish. I do not want an unfair advantage, and there are millions of my kind in this world who want nothing more than an even playing field.

10. ammo

ammo

jerry springer has been on the tube for 20 years(? not sure)don't underestimate the frailty of human fabric, how long has ET been around

#10     Jan 16, 2010