Would you rather trade on your own making 100k yr or trade for a firm making 500k yr

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by discrat, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Now if I can get into GS I would kill for it. By the way if anyone wants a college freshman in a B-school whose GPA 3.5 and had been trading for 3 years. PM me.:D

#11     Nov 12, 2006
  2. I do not want to post here but I do wish to say that

in order to make 100 K a day you have to be

working with OPM or have reached a level
    of success that most people on ET can only dream
    of

I do think it is all relative

a single gent making 100 K plus in a yr as a trader who
    might have not much highly paid job prospects otherwise
    or who might have only made only 5-50 K yearly
    in his working life prior to making his six figures
    is probably content even if he is working alone
    in his sweats and a T shirt without sick leave or vacation
    leave pay

:p

#12     Nov 12, 2006
  3. AO76

AO76

Lets just say I make more money in a year than your mom, sister and you would make selling your ass on the street corner for the next 50 years.

Have a good life loser.

#13     Nov 12, 2006
  4. Tums

Tums

the other side of equation is not just $500k.

consider this:

-- you might have to move to NY or Chicago.
    -- hassle in commute to the office
    -- office politics
    -- targets to meet. not just annual target, but quarterly, monthly, weekly, etc. There is no let up to pressure from your section head. Everybody is watching you and your P/L.
    -- to make $500k for yourself, you have to carry a B-I-G load of leverage. It is OPM, but it is still money, and believe me, you can feel the stress.
    -- you have to explain everything you do. If you have a down quarter, or slightly off month, the boss will be calling you to the office and ask you why. They want to know everything about you, your marital situation, your bowel movement, etc. Afterall, they have to cover their behind too, just in case you fail. (now you know why a lot of the big house traders don't last past their 30th birthday.)

oh well, there is Wall street glamour, and there is a dark side to it too.

granted, being on your own is not easy. Loneliness and boredom does affect you. You have to develop and build your net work of peer support, so that you don't go brain dead in the middle of the day.

#14     Nov 12, 2006
  5. Tums

Tums

some of the successful trader don't even have a car.

p.s. I still don't believe you have this '90 thing, simulated woodgrain and all. You should post a pix to prove it.

#15     Nov 12, 2006
  6. I do. I love my minivan. also the half "the brainloss midday" would wipe me out..cause the other half I lost some years ago...ET keeps me going...

#16     Nov 12, 2006
  7. Drew07

Drew07

We're all very impressed here.

I love how people who actually make what most people would consider a lot of money are usually pretty modest and don't brag about how "better" they are than everyone else....(At least in my experience). It's the wannabes who are insecure about not making all that much money who are the first ones to run off at the mouth or try to appear wealthier than they really are.
    ie 50 thousand dollar Cadillacs parked in front of a government housing project.

#17     Nov 12, 2006
  8. AO76

AO76

I'm glad to have impressed you.

Now go back to the street corner and start working it. Your gonna have to come up with decent nut -- if you want to make it in this game.

#18     Nov 12, 2006
  9. I have a better car than you...

#19     Nov 12, 2006
  10. Drew07

Drew07

I guess these things don't come with spellcheck.

#20     Nov 12, 2006