Would you pay $27,000 for software?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Batman28, Aug 14, 2006.

1. no it's not mechanica.

just out of interest, what do you guys think of Kwik*POP. has anyone used it here? it looks like a bit too much..

#21     Aug 14, 2006
  2. can someone give me a link to mechanica, i want to check it out.. trading blox looks good, but doesn't do EVERYTHING.

#22     Aug 14, 2006
  3. nitro

nitro

It's not even close to being the most expensive software for traders. For example, take a look at Orca for options traders. The main module is like $50k, and then each module after that is like $10K.

$27K is a pittance if it does even close to everything you say it does, but your post is somewhat confusing...

nitro

#23     Aug 14, 2006
  4. OK, so what the hell is the program? Spam or not, we'll check it out and give our feedback.

#24     Aug 14, 2006
  5. This may be a little harsh, but... I think anyone willing to spend that kind of money on software... or even a tenth of that amount is an idiot. Do yourself a huge favor and learn how to program. It's not that hard. Anything you concieve can be programmed. You will be rewarded, as it's a very creative outlet.

just my .02,
    kt

#25     Aug 14, 2006
  6. nitro, can u give me a link to Orca.. thanks..

the program is expo. in my view it's no use to anyone just wanting to trade like on TT. it's no use at all if you don't want to truly ANALYSE DATA. this is very powerful. if you have a economics & econometrics background, technical, programm, and construct portfolio it's best thing I've found. in a way it's like combining Eviews, CATs, R, with wealth-lab, etc..

some reasons it really stands out for me:

up to 100 live windows..
    the language it uses is great
    140 pre-defined studies
    700 built-in math and statistics functions
    Unlimited data handling capacity
    ***Real-time updates on historical studies***
    and for those who know econometrics, some of the things it can do: (REAL TIME TOO!)
    Forecasting daily Forex rates using ARIMA
    Forecasting monthly interest rates based on a multivariate regression macro model;
    Forecasting daily and hourly volatility using GARCH;
    Assessing asset linkages using cointegration analysis;
    Exploiting Forex market inefficiencies via error-correction models;
    Combining trading signals from several indicators using regression;
    Predicting bond risk of default using logit models;
    Testing the performance of trading systems using GARCH and Cointegration;
    Option pricing via simulation using different probability distributions;
    Estimating the weekly correlation between international stock market returns;
    Estimating multi-index beta coefficients;
    Quantifying seasonalities in asset returns.

i think this is probably the most powerful software I've come across to aid an trader/investor.

#26     Aug 14, 2006
  7. if i could prorgam this, I would. if you could, I'd pay to do it. you wish. the things this does is beyond the works of one man. and plus, if u were to pay someone to program everything, it'll probably cost more than $100k.

#27     Aug 14, 2006
  8. Batman, with all due respect what you listed above is not at all special. Programming isn't all that difficult. Granted it does take some time to master, but anyone charging $27,000 is either targeting the corporate market which expects to burn $, or is like Antonio, who is just taking advantage of the ill-informed end user. Once again this is merely imo.

#28     Aug 14, 2006
  9. ktmexc20, i totally understand.. and i agree who they are aiming at. but be realistic, to programm all the things that it does (i only listed a few), would take alot of time -ALOT. that time spent on developtment, plus your opportunity cost during that time, is surely worth $27k, if not more.

#29     Aug 14, 2006
  10. ecritt

ecritt

I used Expo for awhile back in 2001 - 2002. It was excellent; no complaints; just wasn't a good fit for our firm's needs.

If you have the means to put the program's strengths to good use, the price of the program very reasonable.

Reproducing Expo from scratch would take multiple programmers, mathematicians, stataticians, project managers, and a couple of CFA's several years and a couple million dollars.

Advice like "...just learn how to program..." is about as good as "...just learn how to fight..." when you are facing 2,000 Airborne Rangers by yourself. Not very helpful.

ec

#30     Aug 14, 2006