Would you like a SMART routing option which ignores ARCA?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Lobster, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Just in case anyone is wondering. The two orders I cancelled on ARCA this morning are still pending cancel. I wonder if they will still be here when I turn on my computer on Tuesday. Thank God ARCA is fully electronic. Imagine how long the CLX confirmation would take if ARCA's carrier pigeons didn't have that high speed wireless chip implanted!

#11     Jan 17, 2003
  2. WOW that is freakin' KEWL!!!

it'd be oh-so-SWEET if IB could do the same...

#12     Jan 17, 2003
  3. qazmax

qazmax

You should be clear not to confuse ARCA being down with IB's line to ARCA being down...

I use ARCA more most things and they are never down.

The problem is likely with IB...

:)

#13     Jan 17, 2003
  4. Probably retaliation from ARCA, because IB disables the "ECN pass-through fee accumulation" on their ARCA orders.

#14     Jan 17, 2003
  5. Actually, for QQQs and SPYs I would like:

SMART_WITHOUT_ARCA_AND_AMEX

I would actually trade the QQQs and SPYs again through IB if I knew my quotes and orders had nothing to do with these two exchanges.

#15     Jan 17, 2003
  6. ARCA is quite disappointing. Glad someone started a thread on this, perhaps they listen into these disquite-ing thoughts and will improve or acquire another ECN.

I have posted many a caution and notice against these smart order routing features of these ECN(s) because in these choppy markets, where we are essentially trading against phantoms, having one's order posted, displayed, HELD for nn-seconds and then cancelled or DELAYED-Executed is detrimental to one's profitability.

Sometimes the delayed execution notification is delayed itself, and you end up over trading your position and getting tagged for forfiture of profits from illegal short situations.

Hey, ARCA's got a long way to go, as well as a few of the other major ECN(s).

ISLD rules!, as well as the others which DO NOT hold the order, either from cancellation, modification or delay from execution.

#16     Jan 17, 2003
  7. IB seems to have their connection to Instinet, Island, BRUT, and BTRADE pretty well smoothed out (except for brief glitches). It just seems odd that one ECN (ARCA) can cause so many problems to IB when IB is usually technically competent. The ARCA ECN has definite quirks to it which leads me to believe the problems lies on ARCA's end.

#17     Jan 17, 2003
  8. Eldredge

Eldredge

This is what I would really like to see IB do. I had trouble with ARCA again today. If it doesn't improve soon, I may have to stop using SMART. That would be a shame, because I really like SMART. I only got five fills through ARCA today, but they interfered with a lot of my orders. Don't like it AT ALL.

#18     Jan 17, 2003
  9. def

def Sponsor

I'll make the recommendation. I don't know the cause for the problems but i'm pretty certain it is on their end. i'll try to find out more.

#19     Jan 17, 2003
  10. hey after seeing the arca commercial every day on cnbc is it any suprise arca has problems. anybody who would run a commercial like that must think we are all idiots.

#20     Jan 17, 2003