would you give it all up to be super rich ??

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketsurfer, Jan 22, 2004.

1. People cannot handle the truth. They prefer to live in dreams.

#61     Jan 23, 2004
  2. I've done my parenting well, so yes I do know what they would say and it would not surprise me. If they're boarding a transport then it was their decision and I would be scared shi$less watching them go, not proud.

#62     Jan 23, 2004
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Money cant buy you happyness, but it can buy you a yacht that will bring you with in swimming distance. I cant remember who said that, I did not come up with it myself though.

Anyway, to the question Id toss off most of my family for free, but the ones Im close to Im very close to so Id have to say no.

#63     Jan 23, 2004
  4. Could not agree with this more... there's no better feeling than booting a wealthy asshole from a fund after he harangues my secretary (I had her send him a copy of Ms. Manners). My sister-in-law collects Christmas cards like trophies, yet nobody can stand to be around the hag.

Your definition of a true friend is spot on, and one can grow to love friends more than family. Surrounding yourself with great people is empowering.

#64     Jan 23, 2004
  5. There's at least one thing I've learned, and that is wives come and go, same with kids, same with whole family's.
    I would take the money and be out of town in a heartbeat.

After all the time I've already spent on this earth, all my wealth is in my memories of my experiences from exploration of life, and the only way to add to that wealth is to explore the unknown.
    Otherwise its stagnation

#65     Jan 23, 2004
  6. Trading well and/or being good at your profession can make you happy.

#66     Jan 23, 2004
  7. Cutten

Cutten

Of course - in your new life you would also have family, friends, and develop a past etc. They would just be different to the ones you have now.

Personally I would wait until I was quite old and then do it :D

#67     Jan 23, 2004
  8. Cutten

Cutten

The point is that, rather than slaving away to make $50 million (or however much you think is "enough" to retire on), you can forget entirely about money and enjoy your life doing what the hell you like. You have virtually no constraints on your time. Whereas if you have to keep working then you effectively *waste* years of your life (which are then gone forever) whilst accumulating enough money to retire on.

Basically I would require less to retire on, but I would much rather have it immediately than have to work the 5-7 years I think it will take. And IMO 5-7 years of my life is pretty darn valuable.

Remember, there are lots of people out there who will become your friends, girlfriends, wives etc if that's what you are interested in. But once a year of your life has passed, it ain't coming back. Friends are important but they're not as important as me.

#68     Jan 23, 2004
  9. Great question Marketsurfer! However it may be too dependent, as another trader indicated, upon the quality of what you walked away from.

Money can be exchanged for a lot of things: Love and honesty it cannot buy.

If you do not need nor want these, then yes by all means the trade would be worth it.

ol

#69     Jan 23, 2004

10. thanks, ol. health is a critical factor money can not buy. i can think of few worst fates than not being healthy.

surfer:)

#70     Mar 10, 2004