would you give it all up to be super rich ??

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketsurfer, Jan 22, 2004.

1. jamus

jamus

Thre is more to life than riches...Without trying to sound too negative, how may people on their death beds look back and think of the money they should have made or the points they made trading the s & p? At that moment its the time one spent with their loved ones, family or friends that means the most. How many people would rather have spent more time seeing their kids grow, spent more time with the Mrs (or whoever) as opposed to slaving for the corporate world, or being consumed by the rat race? You only get one life in this world and a balance between family and money should be what one should strive for, all the time reflecting on those true words that 'The best things in life are free'

#51     Jan 23, 2004
  2. Yes. I've done things like that.

#52     Jan 23, 2004
  3. It's a path dependant question.

If your life so far has sucked - IRS garnishing your pay, ex-wife needs alimony, kids hate you, then sure, it's a no brainer.

If your life so far is good, then it's a gamble.

Also, it depends on how old you are. Basically you are going to be reborn rich, but the price of which is that you have to give up x years of your life, where x is your current age, leaving you with 74 -x years, where 74 is assumed to be life expectancy.

If I am 60, I can only enjoy my wealth for the next est 14 years, if I am 21, I have 53 years.

So, very path dependant question.

#53     Jan 23, 2004
  4. prox

prox

If I could do it all again, I'd learn how to print counterfeit money.

#54     Jan 23, 2004
  5. NO way. Its nice to have money but without my family to enjoy it with its useless.

#55     Jan 23, 2004
  6. It would spoil the fun of getting there.......What point is it if you didn't have fun/work hard to get there? Given a large sum of money like would definetely be toooooooooooo boring for me, I need challenges even though I know I'd be punching out the Hilton girls at the same time if I had that type of money. Wait, maybe the money wouldn't be too bad then. I can be a super Social Lite??? HHMMMMM and get laid a lot. :)

#56     Jan 23, 2004
  7. Tell that to your son or daughter as they are walking down the aisle to get married. I've been to 4 weddings where one of the parents had passed away. It's not easy to watch when you know they're thinking the mom or dad could be there as they walk down. The only thing you leave behind worth anything is what you taught your kids.

#57     Jan 23, 2004
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

Exactly.....NO WAY NO HOW....Most of the poeple answering this with a yes....probably dont have kids....

I left to never see my father again for freedom....I would take it all back in a heartbeat had i known this was to be the outcome....peace

#58     Jan 23, 2004
  9. taodr

taodr

My kids are very mature. This the real world we are in. I wonder about all these "PROUD" American parents as they watch their sons and daughters boarding transport to the middle east and else where to get slaughtered. Please. Actually you should ask your kids the question you might get a shock if they tell the truth !

#59     Jan 23, 2004
  10. Luto

Luto

Excessive money can be a curse. Sudden wealth can be even more so. Earning something is more vaulable than actually having it in retrospect.

Most people have NO CLUE what it means to have even 2 million. What is worse, if you do come by it sundenly, then you are often surrounded by this same people.

I read that something like 90% of lottery winners loose most of it within 5 years.

Probably the real question here is would it change your core values. Would you feel superior? Would you be more or less generous? Would you seek material things as a substitute for community? Would you not associate with less wealthy people?These are the real question.

IMHO, if money changes you, the real issues of happiness are with yourself, not with your wealth.

Personally, I prize my family and few close friends more than all my wealth and would even give up part of my health give a choice.

My Top thing to do with money:

1) Take care of achild with education
    2) Take care of a widowed Mother
    3) Take care of self by having free time
    4) Donate to worthy causes after lengthy investigation.

Cheers

PS: There is nothing bad about having money per se, only what you do with it and how people react to it can make it "bad".

#60     Jan 23, 2004