would you give it all up to be super rich ??

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketsurfer, Jan 22, 2004.

1. lrm21

lrm21

Thoreau said "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Quite a haunting statement.

LRM

#11     Jan 22, 2004
  2. Ok...question surf.

When you start over, is this in the same universe?
    All memories and relationships intact? Same timeline?

Or are you born again... rich as hell.... a new person?
    Completely starting over from scratch?

peace

axeman

#12     Jan 22, 2004
  3. You can run or leave but you will still be, you.

Money or no money, you will still be as miserable or happy as you are now.

If your looking for a deeper answer marketsurfer look to a deeper source.

It's generally refereed to as UP.........:)

God Bless

#13     Jan 22, 2004
  4. Yes; but the price will be a little steeper.

I am not a cheap date ...

#14     Jan 22, 2004
  5. Turok

Turok

There have been times in my life where circumstances were such that the answer would have been "yes". Currently there's no chance and I hope it stays that way.

JB

#15     Jan 22, 2004
  6. NET

NET

I think samson77 has it right. Many studies of those who became suddenly rich (i.e., million dollar lottery winners, etc.) are actually less happy after having all that money--the illusion of what happiness it would bring is dispelled.

I vote no.

Money doesn't make one happy; it does, however, eliminate the distractions.

#16     Jan 22, 2004
  7. So you wouldn't accept a 50 million $$ check from me tomorrow,
    no strings attached??? :D

I'd take it in a sec. Unlike those people who become unhappy
    when winning millions..... I KNOW how to use money properly
    to make me happier.

Money cant make you happier or less happy.
    But its definitely a happiness enabling technology in the
    proper hands. Like MINE. :)

Just think about it.... you could spend more time with friends
    and family. You could spend more time on your dreams and passions.
    You would have no financial worries...the list goes on.
    All the things you cherish in life, you could spend more TIME doing.

peace

axeman

#17     Jan 22, 2004
  8. pspr

pspr

No, not in this life.

#18     Jan 22, 2004
  9. Banjo

Banjo

In a more serious vien, almost any endeavour that brings one face to face with huge monetary reward is going to demand total commitment of time and energy. Ones every activity, no matter how innocuos appearing ends up being related to the biz. You don't just go fishing, you go fishing with biz related people etc. You're either developing new relationships or herding cats within the organization. The demands of this reality by it's very nature have a tendency to reduce time available to personal relationships, ie family. Women don't like that, at least the ones I ended up divorced from didn't. Children don't like it either . The most important thing to both is to know that they are truly loved and cared for. It's the little things done consistantly that count. I have seen guys throw themselves into their biz. lives because deep down they wanted to get away and used it as a means to an end. One has to think things through clearly and see where the value lies. There is always a compromise unless some one doesn't want one.
    Now if you had ask if I would leave my family for a super rich gorgeous woman who enjoyed tounge baths and would love me forever, hmmmm.

#19     Jan 22, 2004
  10. rgelite

rgelite

Yes, because I've never been that rich and I think the experience would be interesting. But hear me out.

The one commonality in my life that generated "a past," that had built "a family," and that had attracted a particular set of "friends" would remain with me. And that is ME. So, I wouldn't be afraid of not being able to pursue those same values again, if I was inclined.

Furthermore, one day, when each of us die, we will have to give up all those things anyway; just as all those people will have to give up on us and let us go. And that could happen in a minute.

So whether it's by accident (literally), disease, or my decision to disappear, they will all have their own lives to go about and deal with my loss in any case. Just as when my life draws to its end, I will have to come to grips with the loss of all of them and the things I have accumulated.

Yes, I'd go for it. It would be like nothing I'd ever done before and to me, and I realize it's not for everyone, but for me I'd say it would be worth it.

Thanks for posing such an interesting question.

#20     Jan 22, 2004