Would you dump your trading method...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ocean5, Mar 25, 2012.

1. ocean5

ocean5

There is no point to trade it with 1 contract as it would be a waste of time.I think to start it with at least 30-40.Don't think it is too good to be true,look at ES volume!Yes,to get the result like this requires at least 200k,the other route is compounding,but then you'll have to extend your targets wich could be a contextual problem.

Consuming orders means someone who is the cause of the move buys - I emulate."He" buys - I buy.

Took me a couple of years,but I started in 2007.

#21     Mar 26, 2012
  2. Without even going in to the: "if-it-were-real-Goldman-would-buy-you-out" thing, you must know that as soon as you post anything even approaching those numbers, you can't even mouth the word "simulated" and maintain credibility.
    IF you were in possession of such a system, why not just attach a blotter of real trades showing that it is indeed possible? If it's ES and you don't want to risk much in a real test, trade 10 shares of SPY for a week. At least it's a demonstration of reality.

Otherwise, you're just swapping fish stories with the guys in the gym (and the big one is still swimming in the lake).

#22     Mar 26, 2012
  3. bone

bone

Since you have officially conjoined the terms 'SIM' and 'absolute' and 'trading system' in the same breath, please join the company of Lucias and GrandSuperCycle in that case.

#23     Mar 26, 2012
  4. ocean5

ocean5

I'd love to see one of you big mouth assholes would repeat the same result on SIM let alone in real time!!!Never happens!

#24     Mar 26, 2012
  5. Interesting how this was posted in psychology forum.

A system with 99% win rate definitely appeals to human psychological bias of needing to always be right. That would be an edge the entire world would be looking to copy. Not exactly robust!

A robust edge does not appeal to the typical trader because they can not comfortably execute it.

I wouldn't trust this black box in the real world.

#25     Mar 26, 2012
  6. the1

the1

I would have to agree and if you put two traders on the same strategy you'll get two different results. A pure mechanical system will lose its edge over time. Trading requires talent, not just number crunching, chart reading, or whatever strategy you choose.

#26     Mar 26, 2012
  7. bone

bone

As an official big mouth asshole with a Trading Technologies platform and a dedicated high speed line who has a live ES order book up at all times, let me burst your SIM bubble: 1. They all go at once in the ES order book. You will never get the chance to be a "fellow consumer" at that price. 2. There are all kinds of 'footprint' emulating algorithms already in place that would never get even remotely close to your simulated performance. Yep, I personally know of trading groups who try to piggyback onto liquidity takers versus liquidity providers. Very sophisticated algos that try to segregate and piggyback aggressors who are hitting bids and lifting offers. 3. Hint: Not all of these "consumers" are even remotely correct in terms of bias and follow-through to the next price. As a matter of fact, competing algos will iceberg orders into them and give them all they want at that price point. 4. If it looks too good to be true, it surely is. I know HFT groups who pay $60K per month for dedicated lines and infrastructure, they are located WITHIN the freaking CME building, and they still get picked off with Globex products. One of the problems with SIM is that execution and latency dependent strategies are never properly tested - and make no mistake, a strategy that segregates and filters order flow most certainly is.

#27     Mar 26, 2012
  8. gmst

gmst

That was an informative post. Thanks

#28     Mar 26, 2012
  9. ocean5

ocean5

Thank you Bone,i`ve heard you.My main concern was exactly about SIM and Real execution discrepancy.I know how it looks like real time,so that`s why i was asking about the competition.Real execution takes a bit more time then SIM. That`s ok,let these 60K guys be picked off,let them be more and more,let them compete,as i can easily get lost among them.I`m not trying to execute 200-300 cars a pop,but 20-30 is not too good to be true.There is no need for sophisticated algos,the point is only 4 ticks.I can accumulate all day long and then get out within minutes.LoL..Let`s see who`s faster?I don`t care!Hint:ES is not about 'the sisnal - the enter'.

#29     Mar 26, 2012
  10. bone

bone

One day of data, with no drawdowns and no losers, using SIM data but you say you were concerned about reality but when presented with reality you said never mind. And you have the world's best performing system and the very first absolute in trading. But you don't want to be bothered with scraping together a couple thou and trading it for yourself because compounding is troublesome and not worth it.

This website is really going to hell. Are there no professionals left who do this for a living ?

#30     Mar 26, 2012