Would you dump your trading method...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ocean5, Mar 25, 2012.

1. minmike

minmike

If either of them are any good. Trade both. No need to dump something that is working. Trade as many profitable systems as you can.

#11     Mar 26, 2012
  2. ocean5

ocean5

Now would you?

#12     Mar 26, 2012
  3. bone

bone

I personally don't like the idea of going "cold turkey" and quitting a successful system outright if the client relies upon that trading system to pay the bills and support himself and / or a family.

At least half of my clients come to me as successful traders looking to learn a specialty. I would never suggest that "it's my way or the highway". Some clients find that my system actually enhances their existing methodologies. Other clients find that another income stream takes alot of pressure off of their current systems. In other words - they become more patient and selective with their core "money makers". Win-win usually.

Be it far from me to tell a client to stop making money. My ego doesn't need to be stroked. There are many, many ways to make money trading. From my experience, just avoid "forcing" trades no matter what the genus or species or flavor.

#13     Mar 26, 2012
  4. ocean5

ocean5

I got your point Bone,but would you quit trading spreads,where,for instance,you make 15% a month for the black box,someone has granted you out of the blue,for say 150% a month?Hypothetically,yes or now?But now you`ll have to do something COMPLETELY different to what you accustomed to do EVERY DAY,DAY BY DAY!Just dump it,NOW!

#14     Mar 26, 2012
  5. bone

bone

No, because there is no such thing. I reject the core assumption. There are no absolutes in trading. If you need absolutes, you are most definitely in the wrong business.

#15     Mar 26, 2012
  6. ocean5

ocean5

Hahaha...Ok,thanks so much!

#16     Mar 26, 2012
  7. gmst

gmst

ocean, the backtest you show is it real? do you get similar numbers for other days ? What instrument is this on ? Where did you get the blackbox? or is it all in your hallucinations :)

I have asked you a lot of questions, let me answer your question first. If after some basic due diligence, like commisions/spread/real time execution quality/largest loss in a trade/max historical DD etc. if I am convinced that the system works, yes I will dump my proven system for such a system.

#17     Mar 26, 2012
  8. ocean5

ocean5

The blackbox is mine.The stat in the attached is the simulated stat,I just tailgated all the consuming orders alongside - one on one.Now the question form me is if there is a competition, since i ate up all the offer within few bars.What if it was me,would the price go in my direction,or could we do it alongside ,in parallel, without disturbing the structure,was it some sort of a manipulation and if i intruded the structure would be broken, etc?So i need some basics from the pros like Bone who knows the 'specialty', as he says.The instrument is ES,i`ll get the numbers for today if have time,later,by tomorrow.

i do not agree with Bone btw,that there is no absolute.

#18     Mar 26, 2012
  9. gmst

gmst

Thanks!
    Why not start trading it with 1 contract for few days and then increase to 10 and then to 50 and see for yourself?

By the way, are you sure there is no data snooping going on here (using data from future to make current trading decision). I am asking this because this looks too good to be true. Always better to recheck and recheck before putting something like this perfect in production. Could be a coding error somewhere. My 2 cents.

Also how many years have you been trading ? How long of research did it take you to make such a perfect system !!!!!

What do you mean by "you just tailgated all the consuming orders alongside "? What are consuming orders.

#19     Mar 26, 2012
  10. Eight

Eight

100% profitable!! I've designed systems that had accidental-look-into-the-future built into them and they weren't 100%..

#20     Mar 26, 2012