Would you do it all over again?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by dimestock, Apr 11, 2009.

1. The way I look at it:

When I work a salary job, I can calculate exactly how much I will be earning til the day I retire to the exact penny. Provided that if I don't get laid off.

With trading, it opens up to possibilities.

Trading - possibilities
    Salary job - impossibilities

But whether I can make it or not, it is only I who is responsible. Nobody else.

#41     Apr 18, 2009
  2. You should clean your glasses cause he is obviously living off his dad. The trading is just a delusion that he is doing something. His cost of living is covered by his dad, his starting capital is from his dad. He is not even giving it a 100% effort, it's just something to fill the time during the day.

I know plenty of rich kids like that, they just delude themselves while living off their rich parents. Some pretend to be pro traders, some pretend to start real estate companies, some pretend to be restaurateurs, some are actors/actresses. All end up doing nothing more than leeching off the family wealth with half-assed efforts and illusions that they are working toward a goal. Most end up being back in the family business by default just because they are family, the rest are just trust fund babies.

#42     Apr 18, 2009
  3. Make it being what? Multi-million dollar superstar? Or just making a good living?

You have to put things in perspective. Becoming a million dollar trader from nothing right now is like starting an electronics store and expecting become the next new thing in electronics retail with exceptional profit margins.
    Simply starting a profitable electronics store is exceptional, same goes for being able start making a decent/good living as a daytrader after 1-2 years.

I'm just being very real with you and I know the truth is not exactly what you want to hear. I give the same advice in person, the bottom line is that there are better opportunities elsewhere, especially if you have capital. There are some good edges to exploit in the financial markets, but it requires establishing a sizeable operation which takes time & money. It's more of a venture.

If you really really want to trade, do not go into it without a backup plan. Better yet, work on something on the side and balance your time between the two. If you don't scalp, you can even do both at the same time, I have done that. If at some point you develop a good edge in trading and build up a nice bank, then it makes sense to go all in.

#43     Apr 18, 2009