Would you close this DOTM short put?

Discussion in 'Options' started by a529612, Oct 8, 2007.

1. spin , true , I would of close this trade too. I just made a point that at the time of exit r/r is not at 9:1 ( than why not to reverse it ?)

#11     Oct 9, 2007
  2. Paper profit means unrealized profit.

It's not a naked put. More like a cash secured short put. I have the cash to buy the stock if the position really goes against me.

Anyway, I closed the position at 0.4 and locked in a $6k profit. I'm rolling forward to the AAPL Nov 150 Put.

#12     Oct 9, 2007
  3. A cash-secured put is a naked put. Cash or margin don't "cover" puts, because they don't limit the loss. The term "secured" only refers to your ability to take assignment without getting a margin call. You can only cover a put by having an offsetting equity or option position in the same security, such as a calendar or a spread.

Good for you. That was the smart trade.

#13     Oct 9, 2007
  4. spindr0

spindr0

Hey IV. The risk/reward may not be 9:1 but a noob often finds a way to give back a chunk of a naked write's profit :)

#14     Oct 9, 2007
  5. Cutten

Cutten

Always close once the premium gets this negligible.

#15     Oct 9, 2007
  6. spindr0

spindr0

To be covered (for margin purposes) you'd need to be short the stock or own a put with the same expiration or longer/same strike or higher. Otherwise, you have to put up margin.

In your case, tho you have the cash, you are not protected against loss. That's why it's called a "naked" put.

#16     Oct 9, 2007