Would you buy a house, anywhere in the US, right now?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by eagle488, Sep 29, 2006.

If you had a choice, would you buy a house anywhere in the US right now?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. No

41 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. ElCubano

ElCubano

wow sounds awesome...zzzzzzzzzz..wake me up when the light turns green...:D

while we may not have hunting , ur fishing does not compare to hiting a school of dolphins 90 miles east of sobe...a place called bimini..and trust me ur racks are only world class till you see ours..in little dental floss bikinies...

#61     Sep 29, 2006
  2. Yes, but only a special situation like a sherrif's sale of a fixer for at least a 50% discount.

Plus the New Orleans market where I live has a dramatic supply/demand imbalance due to Hurricane Katrina.

Traveler

#62     Sep 29, 2006
  3. <i>"ur racks are only world class till you see ours..in little dental floss bikinies..."</i>

Not the least bit interested... unless they are a mile back in the blackwater swamps, with four hooves!

#63     Sep 29, 2006
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

:D then perhaps San Fransisco is better suited for what u need...:p

#64     Sep 29, 2006
  5. Many years ago, I got a job with Douglas Aircraft Company in Santa Monica. I could hardly wait to get there. I moved into a furnished apartment just one block from the beach on San Vicente Avenue.

The rent was about three times what I expected to pay but I knew that I was going to love it, until I went down to the beach and dived into the water. It was July and the water was almost as cold as ice and the waves were none existent.

To make matters worse, it didn't get any better. I swear to God that I never saw a wave that was worth surfing.

One day I went downtown and the smog was so bad that it made my eyes water. I couldn't see how anyone in their right mind could live there. I stayed there 5 months and left.

After I retired, I landed a consulting job with a small firm located just north of Malibu. They wanted me to work for them full time but the salary that they offer me wasn't high enough. So they sweetened the pot by offering me a rent free house that was just across the street from the ocean. So I ask if they would give me 12 weeks off a year and they said yes.

Well the beach hadn't changed at all except for the fact that you could now smell the oil wells when the breeze was blowing inshore. So I turned the offer down and went back to Hatteras Island where I lived.

Years later, I read that this area north of LA was the top rated place to live in the USA.

I almost pissed myself.

#65     Sep 29, 2006
  6. <i>" then perhaps San Fransisco is better suited for what u need..."</i>

Are there trophy whitetails and flocks of pheasants out there in SF? Didn't see any when Holly & I visited back in 2004. Fun place to visit, but I'd never live there. Missoula MT would be nice!

#66     Sep 29, 2006
  7. It appears so far that the sentiment is 50-50 for housing. To me that says that housing is still a sell. It wont be a buy again until its 10-90. 10% wanting to buy and 90% wanting to sell.

I will wait a few door days and look at the poll again, but I have confidence that it will be along the 50-50 line. Im a little surprised because this message board is supposed to be filled with folks who know the markets and read the news everyday.

I can tell you right now that there is no news out there that states you should buy real estate.

#67     Sep 29, 2006
  8. <b>eagle</b>... depends on where & what. If you mean quick flips in the go-go areas, forget it. Raw land, timbered land, waterfront & residential properties in the correct locations? <i>Can't miss</i> profits, over the course of time.

No different than this game we play. RIMM is not a strong buy today, but 1,000s of other stocks are :>)

#68     Sep 29, 2006
  9. Wait a bit. Inventories are WAY upin this area. Lots of borrowers bit off more than they could chew.

Here's an observation: I took my nephew to a sports practice the other day. I the parking lot were no less than THREE vehicles with signs proclaiming something to the effect of "Stop foreclosure now!"

IMHO, this market is sunk for a LONG time. Already off 20% from highs in my neighborhood and I expect at least another 20% off from these levels.

#69     Sep 29, 2006
  10. Bob111

Bob111

what for? to invest? to live in for next 10-20 years?
    first time?
    if i own one already and i'm fine with it,but want to upgrade-i would wait. if you got second child,your wife pregnant with third one, both of you making very good money ,you just got good raise and you live in shitty appartment-i would do it right away.

#70     Sep 29, 2006