Would you buy a house, anywhere in the US, right now?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by eagle488, Sep 29, 2006.

If you had a choice, would you buy a house anywhere in the US right now?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. No

41 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. <b>bjd, </b>I drew a late-season blackpowder tag for Iowa Zone 5. Flying out 12/26 and leaving 12/30 (sooner if we're successful!) to frolick in SE Iowa while the holiday-week charts paint a picture exactly like today's :D

#51     Sep 29, 2006
  2. <b>sg58</b>, I drove thru Iowa in August on my way home from Denver. I did notice all of the women working in restaurants, gas stations were rather on the "sturdy" side. Not sure I saw any of them I could bench press these days, to be honest :eek:

#52     Sep 29, 2006
  3. yes your right....I knew it was sioux something.....LOL.

Is Gateway out in your neck of the woods?

#53     Sep 29, 2006
  4. With a lot of my friends buying there first house I get asked about this all the time. I always say "do the math". Often I get the reply "what do you mean paying rent is just throwing away money". Smart people too that tell me this. I really think you need to do the calculations and if it is cheaper to buy than buying is fine if you plan on holding for ten years or so. But if it works out to be about the same, you are paying $5,000 in commissions to get exposure to an asset class that can be had for $1. Think of buying a starter home right now then having a couple of kids and need a bigger house and having to sell at a $10,000 dollar loss, quite a hit for a young family.

#54     Sep 29, 2006
  5. <b>http://www.rentalplus.com/aboutus.htm</b>

Any properties bought on this lake today (my backyard) will only go one way in value: straight up. That's how it has been for 200 years, and will remain that way until they drain the water out :>)

Austin

#55     Sep 29, 2006
  6. bjdhawk

bjdhawk

the state certainly has its fair share of, shall i say "healthy" women, but UofI in iowa city is where all the rich chicago families send their easily impressionable, hot beauties....

:D

#56     Sep 29, 2006
  7. gateway was in sioux city but they have closed most of those places. gateway is only a shell of what it used to be today.

#57     Sep 29, 2006
  8. Yes it seemed they have been on the decline. What are state income taxes for you (percentage of AGI).

#58     Sep 29, 2006
  9. 0

#59     Sep 29, 2006
  10. In my best pirate voice I can say only one thing: "Har!"

(Goddamn I'm in rare form today. I need volume to pick back up so I can distract myself with trading.)

#60     Sep 29, 2006