Would this Desktop support 8 to 12 Monitors ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kevinqc, Sep 30, 2011.

1. kevinqc

kevinqc

I am planning on getting 750 to 850 watt PSU.

There is also ATI Radeon 6870 with 6 ports which is cheaper than 5870. But I can not run 2 of them on my mobo. They take 2 slots each. For 2, 6870 I will have to build another system. Besides I don't do any gaming so 2 such cards wouldn't do much good if I am correct ?

#31     Oct 1, 2011
  2. kevinqc

kevinqc

Someone suggested that some professional traders using multi monitor setups upto 16 monitors use multiple 2460s but I have not seen it. They recommend keeping same cards if possible.

I like big monitors with high resolution but never tried 8 or 12 of them. I am taking a huge gamble on this setup but then I do it in the markets everyday.

Do I need to keep the existing video card GeForce GT 530 in x16 slot ? I was planning on removing it to make room for the new one.

#32     Oct 1, 2011
  3. RE: I like big monitors with high resolution but never tried 8 or 12 of them. I am taking a huge gamble on this setup but then I do it in the markets everyday.

As in trading... there are things you can do to manage your risks. I would suggest not buying all 3 cards at the same time. I remember you said something about tax or something - being that you are not based in USA. You can buy one card first. Set it up. If all works well, and with your sound card too... then buy a second one. Then buy a third one.

You should think about the grid arrangement with 12 monitors. 2 x 6 or 3 x 4? The orientation too. While over 90% of users have the monitors horizontally, in some situations it is more beneficial to have portrait orientation on the monitor instead of landscape. You should decide those before shopping for furnitures to mount the monitors together. If you buy those multi-mon fixtures... they can get expensive... some are even more expensive than the monitors.

RE: Do I need to keep the existing video card GeForce GT 530 in x16 slot ?

No I don't think you need it any more. In fact this card may introduce compatibility issues with the ATI cards. The best is to unplug it and use it as a spare or for future projects.

#33     Oct 1, 2011
  4. kevinqc

kevinqc

Excellent points & I am working on some of them.

I like Portrait arrangement for what I am doing with one drawback that it gives me fewer bars on the screen. In fact I chose those Dell U2412M monitors just for these purposes. They are almost 50 % more expensive than regular 1920x1080 that I am using now.

Grid arrangement : I am thinking about 4x3 ( 4 Horizontal ), otherwise it would kill my neck. I have just started looking for multi monitor arms or fixtures etc. You are right. They are very expensive, at least the good ones.

I will try out one card at a time as you suggested.

#34     Oct 1, 2011
  5. RL8093

RL8093

I've used a 1x3 (one on top) arrangement for > 5 years now. The one on top is where I place things that I infrequently need to study. Even being only one level up, I get a sore neck if I have to look up there very often.

I also wouldn't want to go more than 3 wide due to mouse issues. Optimizing the settings so I can get from far left to far right makes it more difficult to do the precision work (like drawing trendlines on individual charts) & vice versa.

Obviously, YMMV.

R

#35     Oct 1, 2011
  6. kevinqc

kevinqc

Thank you for your input.

#36     Oct 3, 2011
  7. PSU is weak - at least get a 650 or 750 - probably better to get an 850 or 1000w PSU but they are more money.

you don't want to be running your PSU at close to max all the time - that's bad for it.

#37     Oct 4, 2011
  8. LEAPup

LEAPup

Glad to help. Unless you are the type who likes walking around in circles (lol), or want to have to roll your chair to the end monitors right and left at times, I'd recommend 19" monitors if you are going to run 12. I'm running eight 24"s and if you're going to go that way, I'd say 22" max. Preferably 19"s.

Btw, if I had it to do over again for my office setup, I'd have three 27"s in portrait mode, and would have saved some $. It's really up to what you need to get the job done.

#38     Oct 5, 2011