Would I have been better off with a single or dual core rather than quad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J.P., Mar 30, 2010.

1. Hope I'm not stepping on toes, but ProfLogic is running Multicharts as am I.

I recently built my own PC on a Core-i7 920 with 6GB of DDR3 RAM and at the busiest of times running at least 8 instances of Multicharts each one with a single workspace that has 2 charts on it for a single symbol, I've never seen the CPU go more than 20% and most times it's under 5% even during good volume.

This is a testament to both the hardware (the Core i7) and Multicharts ability to multithread and utilize all 4 cores, efficiently.

Really happy with both the i7 and Multicharts in a multi-threaded environment...

bmills

#41     Apr 7, 2010
  2. In XP usually the Peak allocated memory can be compared with the Total Physical Memory; if the peak is near or larger to the Total RAM it's clearly better to upgrade.

Under Vista-related OSes where is the Peak value? :confused:

In Vista x64, I often see 10/15 MB of Free Physical Memory while the Physical Memory % is at 61% or so... in a 4 Gb system. Is this worrying? :eek:

#42     May 1, 2010
  3. In Vista you should be able to see Peak Working Set in Processes (need to Select Columns). on individual basis. I think there is none for the whole system (try Performance Monitor if you really need this).

In Vista you need to see Memory tab in Resource Monitor to find how much memory you can use. How much is free is not very important. Look at dark blue line (Standby).

Task manager also shows Available memory. that what has to be your concern.

#43     May 11, 2010
  4. Thank you maxima120, for your clarification. :)

#44     May 12, 2010