Would hyper inflation kill stocks?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by cubical, Mar 19, 2009.

1. I'm sorry...but that chart is pretty useless IMO because it doesn't account for dividends. The DOW could easily go sideways or down over many years and still have investors growing their money or staying flat even as the DOW is down considerably. This is especially true when counting in decades and not individual years of a bear market.

#21     Mar 21, 2009
  2. We are going to see high inflation. I concede that. What I'm sick of hearing about is those preaching about how we are going to have hyperinflation. Hyperinflation is measured in 100's of percent. We aren't going to see inflation of 100% over the course of a year or 50% over the course of a few months. What is most likely is that inflation will start to ramp up once we get through this recession. As inflation approaches 10% or more, the FED will then have to focus on containing it via rising interest rates. We are going to see a series of corrections over the next 5-10 years where the FED increases than decreases rates again. Growth will probably be pretty much flat during that time. But that's the WORST case scenario. If the global economy recovers and starts consuming more, than we could avoid 10 years of flat growth.

But the point is this. We are going to see a series of corrective measures to delicately maneuver this storm. Like my analogy earlier of correcting multiple times when losing control of a car. IF the fed sat there with interest rates super low as inflation picked up and did absolutely nothing but instead kept printing money, then yeah, sure...we would see hyperinflation. But I seriously doubt that's what we are going to see.

I prefer to be a realist as opposed to a doomsday sayer.

#22     Mar 21, 2009
  3. Daal

Daal

-g

#23     Mar 21, 2009