Would a Mini Display port To DVI adapter for Apple work for other Video cards ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trader12, Nov 15, 2012.

1. trader12

I have AMD FirePro 2460 video card with 4 mini dp outputs & it came with 4 mini display port to DVI pigtail converters.

I have been using Four Dell U2412M High resolution monitors ( 1920x1200 )with it.

Now one of the mini DP to DVI converter doesn't works so I have been searching for it & came across similar converters but they all say it is for Apple Cinema Display, to a Mac Pro (2009), Mac mini (2009), iMac (2009), MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air etc.

It looks almost identical to mine except the color, which is white & mine is Black.

I am also not sure if mine is an active conveter or not. Apple's isn't.

Here is what Apple's looks like :

Here is what mine looks like except I am not sure i mine is active.

So would Apple's adapter work in my Video Card ?

Also how do I know if my adapter is active or Passive & what is the difference ?

P.S. Scat & others who replied to my other post of using a second video card, If I can just get the right adapter, I don't want to take a chance on running a second video card.
  2. With full size display port, passive will not run resolutions above 1600 X 1200
  3. trader12

Thank you Bolimomo.

Very informative.

AMD said it is Passive.

They did not recommend the ones that state" it applies to Apple." as I posted the links.

Active ones usually have Active written on them as following making it much easier to identify. Why can;t they do the same for Passive so that people who have never seen active can easily tell the difference.

From my experience with AMD, they don't make your life easier even when it comes to finding the right drivers.

They refer firepro as firemv ins ome places & I have heard even pros getting confused about it.
  4. trader12

I have mini display port & now I know I have a Passive adapter & it runs 1920x1200 on 24 inch monitors.

I do have full size DP to DVI conveter & FirePro 2260 card. Now knowing what you said, I guess I am not going to try that video card with the current FirePro 2460.

Any one having the experience of an original AMD Conveter going bad in less than 4 months of use ?
  5. My bad - newer cards will run 1920x1200
  6. For $5 why not try it out?

I had a few of those video cards and bought the white apple display port >> DVI adapters you listed and they worked fine for me - until I couldn't get modern drivers for the cards so I sold them all.