Would a liberal admit Public Housing means a surge in crime in the area?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ChkitOut, Oct 12, 2012.

1. I swear, this place's P&R folks run about 30 or so years behind the times. More, in this case.
    The Death and Life of Great American Cities - written 50 years ago or so, and pointing out how poorly public housing does at housing people safely. Lots of cities have since taken to demolishing or radically revising the layouts of their housing as a direct result of what this book said.
    Fifty freakin years ago.
    By the way, lady who wrote it was a liberal. Flaming variety.

#11     Oct 13, 2012
  2. Long term I don't expect any improvement.

I think at some level we all can agree that the state/fed gov't has assumed some role as parent via schools. What is seriously lacking is discipline and consequences for behaviours. If there aren't proper consequences we have out of control pupils by the time they are 11-12 years old. (I think you'll find studies out there that this is the age in the hood where kids really begin to fail).

The state policy on discipline is getting more lenient, usually claiming race as an issue. This is hurting not helping anyone. Oh well.....

#12     Oct 14, 2012
  3. If only we could get the tenants to stop pissing in the hallways and elevators. If only the tenants could recognize a mop and a broom their wouldn't be so many damn roaches and rats, If only the Fed gov't would be a better landlord, wtf do they know about being a landlord, Hud has failed for those 50 friggin years.

Besides how much money does white america want to spend on free housing? High rise is economical. Pretty tough pill to swallow when we have to provide 5 bedroom units (hood people have big families) for free when people in the burbs are struggling to pay for a 2 bed unit.

#13     Oct 14, 2012
  4. This made me wonder, what the heck are the job requirements to become a city leader/ Take Detroit for instance, they probably haven't elected anyone who even read this book. How can people run a city not even have a clue on how a city operates?

#14     Oct 14, 2012
  5. maxpi

maxpi

I'll celebrate when the federal government sends people around to kick all the recipients of welfare out of bed at 5am and impose a curfew at 8pm.

#15     Oct 14, 2012
  6. jem

jem

I am not sure of your point... the reviews saying she proposed diversity of structure and barely touched on people.

so what is your point... urban planners trying to force their utopian ideas on cities screwed up.

I studied under a highly regarded law professor who suggested cities wind up working better without any zoning laws at all.

My opinion on this subject is not well informed... but I tend to agree with the idea that govt officials work for their own self interest.

I have seen local officials bribed into turning San Diego's set aside open space into houses... last 25 years.

bernard siegan

https://litigation-essentials.lexis...Rev.+127&key=7c05e68995848d84900640b24b6a0e5d

Introduction

In this presentation, I find myself in a different position than has been my experience in recent years. For the past few years, I have been advising officials and interested groups in some former communist countries about drafting new constitutions. 1 Most Eastern Europeans I encountered were not friendly to planning and regulation. They associate them with misery. People ask, "Do you know what happens if a state planning committee moves to the desert?" The answer is, "First, nothing happens. Then there will be a shortage of sand."

The great lesson of our times is that the forces of production, conservation and creativity exist principally in the marketplace and not in government. True, private entrepreneurs act largely in their self-interest, but probably no more so than government officials, and the endeavors of entrepreneurs in the economic area are much more directed to the general public welfare. 2

Indeed, most ex-communist nations, as well as many other countries, are eagerly seeking to privatize and deregulate. Nevertheless, although the world trend is away from regulation, Houston considers imposing a powerful new level of government controls. To be sure, zoning in Houston will not bring about a communist economy, but it will greatly reduce the many benefits of free enterprise.

The proposed Houston zoning ordinance is supposed to be moderate, largely intended to preserve neighborhoods. 3 Government is to be given only such powers as are necessary to accomplish this purpose. Well, please do not be misled. While the proposed ...

#16     Oct 14, 2012