Would a Japan/China war be good for the US

Discussion in 'Economics' started by noob_trad3r, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Indeed, but I would bet (with real $$) that western society gets the short end this round.

#21     Feb 5, 2013
  2. Last i heard

I was on your ignore list

because I didn't agree with one of your crazy ideas

what are you doing?

reading my posts?

Looking forward to your instruction about the proper way to express ideas on the internet

#22     Feb 5, 2013
  3. The outcome of this conflict would depend on who got the right assumptions. It seems that China would get what they want.

What are the assumptions of the chinese generals?

As for the Japanese generals, if they are smart they could create internal problems for china, but I doubt they are creative enough or would want to be creative enough.

#23     Feb 5, 2013
  4. Is that a surprise to you? It was known it would happen since more than 10 years ago!

That is what the Chinese generals seem to think others think. So it makes sense for them to raise the stakes to get the islands without doing a war.

#24     Feb 5, 2013
  5. No it is not a surprise to me, look up the meaning of 'increasing'. People like you jump in to a discussion late, have not got a clue of what has transpired and rush to judgement.

I started posting when this thread was populated by half-baked Darwinists who think that losing 50 or 100 million young Americans, Europeans, Japanese and Chinese is a good thing. I suppose there is merit in leaving the peasants of Africa and South America in peace so they can make up the numbers; not a bad idea for improving humanity.

As for your 10 year time frame, you seem to know nothing about how Chinese think. These people were civilised when your ancestors and mine were living in caves and grunting to each other.

I have a very dear friend who is an overseas Chinese, whose parents were born in China. In the '80s he moved back to China to open a Mercedes Benz sales and service dealership. I told him he was nuts to even think of that when it was a country of peasants. Well if getting in early is getting in on the ground floor, he got in when they were excavating the site, and is doing very handsomely for it. In a country where connections matter, he now has old connections.

Mao was a revolutionary dreamer with visions of a communist utopia. Deng was a pragmatist; what is happening today began with his vision and actions.

And for all those who think war is as sanitised as Hollywood makes it, with all the uplifting jingoism of Red Dawn, forget it. It is a dirty, messy, ugly, miserable business.

http://thediplomat.com/flashpoints-blog/2012/12/11/a-new-gameplan-for-chinas-nuclear-arsenal/

http://allthingsnuclear.org/is-xi-jinping-changing-chinese-nuclear-weapons-policy/

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/...retary-of-state-kerry-can-thwart-slide-to-war

#25     Feb 6, 2013
  6. rule of thumb

if it's over 7 pages

don't post until you have read every page

#26     Feb 6, 2013
  7. benwm

benwm

I met three Chinese at one of the best universities in the world and all three of them harbored a deep hatred towards Japan. We're talking about "highly educated" (and no doubt well connected) Chinese kids in their early twenties who have constantly been brainwashed since childhood about past Japanese atrocities. In every other sense these Chinese students were intelligent and articulate, which was alarming to say the least.

It dangerous when such deep seated views are held about another nation when individually they have little or no contact with the people of that other nation. Many Chinese seem to want to settle old disputes, and the more the political elite lose their grip on events domestically the greater their willingness to emphasize the greater external enemy and ramp up tensions with Japan.

#27     Feb 6, 2013
  8. "one of the best universities in the world"?

must not be that good if it attracts those kind of people

most likely

it is a magnet for world losers

#28     Feb 6, 2013
  9. I agree with you completely about the dangers of such views, though I am not sure I would characterise that as brainwashed. China suffered immensely in World War 2 and they tend to have a long view of things. It might be difficult finding Russians with nice things to say about Germans.

My parents both suffered in that war, my mother especially as she was interned by the Japanese (in Singapore) because she was classified as an enemy alien. They were not bitter, indeed when my mother visited Japan in the '60s she thought that they were rather nice on an individual level. But you never heard them say much about the war and the Japanese, other than occasionally recounting the horrors they went through.

As to your point about people to people contact, that is immensely important. I spent a year working with a Japanese CEO, a chap who collected antique maps as a hobby. He was without a doubt the finest gentleman I have ever met. When I subsequently worked with other Japanese executives, that experience made the interactions so much easier.

#29     Feb 6, 2013
  10. "they"? so that's the way those Chinese are

and how are "those Americans"?

just between you and me

I hear those blacks like to eat a lot of fried chicken

That's why I like Swedish girls

all they want to do is screw

#30     Feb 6, 2013