Would a Japan/China war be good for the US

Discussion in 'Economics' started by noob_trad3r, Feb 5, 2013.

1. I wish I could see the bright side, but I can't.

We are not talking Iraq, Libya or Iran here. This is a country that has the capability to put people in space and has a nuclear arsenal. It has a population more than 4 times that of America. Forget this business of bombing them back to the stone age with business as usual in America. It won't happen.

China is behaving in an increasingly provocative fashion. The solution must be diplomacy. People have to see reason.

#11     Feb 5, 2013
  2. The sadly ironic thing is that the people most likely to start/propose a war are also the least likely to be directly involved in it...

#12     Feb 5, 2013
  3. Specterx

Specterx

Obviously, a shooting war could go really bad really quickly.

But something on the order of a small skirmish where nobody or only a few people are killed would certainly have a chilling effect on trade.

The likely outcome is that US investors lose a lot of money, a modest number of jobs are lost and gained here (probably cancels out in terms of numbers, although those lost will certainly be higher-paying, etc. than those gained, i.e. we'll be worse off). The overwhelming majority of any manufacturing employment that flees China will go to places like Mexico, the Philippines or Vietnam, not back to the USA.

#13     Feb 5, 2013
  4. Feel free to volunteer as a human shield like people did before the Iraq war. I'm just commenting on the topic as stated by the op.

As long as the war doesn't happen on US of A soil we would be fairly ok, that's my guess.. especially if it was Israel's Neutron bombs that did the damage to China and the ME. Talk about stone age, the US of A would be worse off than stone age if an EMP went off because we don't know how to do things stone age style. I hate gardening..

#14     Feb 5, 2013
  5. hard to believe that anybody would at anytime think a war could be good.

maybe if it's her daughter that gets killed and not yours

how do you make money by destroying things?

If your son was killed in Iraq, and you had it to do all over again, wouldn't you wish we were still in an endless argument with Saddam Hussein?

Talking is always better than killing.

If you are right and they are wrong, you will be rich and they will be poor.

Maybe not always in dollars, but in the things that matter.

#15     Feb 5, 2013
  6. Would those who sell tools that destroy (and those who build what was destroyed) make or lose money?

#16     Feb 5, 2013
  7. good point. What was that Eisenhower said?

#17     Feb 5, 2013
  8. 377OHMS

377OHMS

If you deemed to use punctuation and capitalization you wouldn't have to post with single standalone sentences like some kind of half-assed haiku writer. I mean, if you are going to the trouble to post on ET to express some idea or opinion you might as well do so in English. Your thought process is jumbled enough as it is without expressing those disjointed ideas and comments in poor syntax. You may have something important and interesting to say but some of us can't tell because of the sloppy writing.

I agree that it is really stupid for people to be killed over something that that is just a small matter of principle. Its like the Falkland Island conflict between Argentina and the UK. The islands have just about no economic benefit for the UK and it costs them money to administrate and secure the islands. The UK only defends the sovereignty of the Falklands as a matter of principle. It was a shame when UK kids got killed defending the Falklands and I hope Argentina isn't stupid enough to try that again.

If there was military conflict between China and Japan my opinion is that it could throw the world economy into a depression. Our reliance on Chinese goods coupled with the "just in time" manufacture and delivery processes in the west means that disruptions in the supply of parts that go into American products might show up immediately at the retail level. We really are tightly coupled to the Chinese economy and to the Japanese to a lesser degree. Nothing good would come out of a war between the two countries.

Everyone assumes that China would dominate Japan in any conflict but I'm not so sure about that. The Japanese have quite a tradition of naval competence. Given the presence of several breeder reactors in Japan it is a good bet that they have nuclear weapons and the means to deliver them. I worked for the Japanese National Space Agency and was impressed with the heavy launch vehicles they've developed. I think the Japanese have a nuclear weapons program and an intercontinental ballistic missile program that they haven't acknowledged.

#18     Feb 5, 2013
  9. d08

d08

Who's finance US debt then with Japan and China out of the picture?
    Remember, a war between those two would also strengthen the positions of Russia, India.
    Your views are massively too simplistic. You have to think much further than the initial first 1-2 steps.
    Reminds of the Treaty of Versailles after the first World War, everything was blamed on Germany and that in fact triggered the second World War as a chain reaction.

#19     Feb 5, 2013
  10. d08

d08

Oil has been found in the islands' economic zone. Plenty of fishing resources as well. Lastly, land is always a resource and territorial wars are a core part of people.

#20     Feb 5, 2013